PDA

View Full Version : 403 Forbidden - Server's Demo Mode Had Expired


ABC123

MichaelCarroll
05-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Getting the following error:


403 Forbidden

This server's demo mode has expired. This server was previously running in demo mode because it is not licensed for remote access. The demo period has expired so now this server can only process requests from the same computer on which it is running by using the URL http://localhost/.

To purchase a server license, visit the Alpha Software website at http://www.alphasoftware.com/



I was running as Beta tester and then converted to my developer license. I can post to my Remote Server, but this is happening to me in the Live Preview and Local publishing.

Anyone else having this issue?

Lance Gurd
05-02-2013, 06:28 AM
When I had this error I tried the first thing that came into my head, restart the application server and it worked. From memory I think the session settings, session lifetime was very short as well so I extended that as well, no more problems since.

MichaelCarroll
05-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Lance,

Usually happens after I have been working for an hour or so. Installed the latest patch and it kicked in after about and hour of development time. Rebooted and it went away - but went to bed soon after that. I can still get into working preview, so its not to bad of a hurdle, but Live Preview, or publishing to the localhost is where I get the message. I am having no issues with my live application server that sits up at zebrahost. I was a few versions behind when it started, so I figured that the latest patch might fix.

Also I followed the registry fix instructions, deleting the two licensing keys as instructed, and then entering the new key in V12 when prompted.

Lance Gurd
05-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Sorry Michael didn't explain myself.

Go to the web projects control panel, web, application server. Then alter session lifetime as in attached pic

35481

bowenjohn
05-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Michael:
This is normal functionality of the Dev server, it will time out after 15mins and then will only allow local host calls. This is to prevent the use of the dev version as an application server. To reset the 15 min timeout just restart the web server...that will give you another 15 mins of non-local host calls to the dev web server.

MichaelCarroll
05-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks Lance and John. I set the session lifetime to be longer as suggested. John you say that it will only allow localhost calls, but it times those out as well when the 15 minutes in the default is up. This must be new feature for v12 as I cannot recall v11 doing this.

Lenny Forziati
05-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Michael, do you have an older beta? This was a known bug but was fixed a couple of weeks ago.

MichaelCarroll
05-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Lenny,

This the rev that I was having the issues with and certainly the older rev when I transferred my beta license to my subscription license.

Alpha Anywhere Version (Registered): 12
Compiler: Microsoft C Compiler version 1600
Build: 1351 (THIS IS NOT AN UP-TO-DATE VERSION OF Alpha Anywhere)
Addins: 4112 (THIS IS NOT AN UP-TO-DATE VERSION OF ADDINS)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro

I will be in v12 tonight and will update to the current rev and will be in for more than an hour - that is what I set the time out to...

Lenny Forziati
05-03-2013, 01:51 PM
I will be in v12 tonight and will update to the current rev and will be in for more than an hour - that is what I set the time out to...

The error message you are getting has nothing to do with the session timeout. The server has an unlicensed demo mode - for the first 30 minutes after the server is started, it allows access from any client even without a server license in place. After the 30 minutes is up, non-local traffic will get the 403 message if you do not have an activated Application Server license on the server. This is independent of the session lifetime and will come into play even if the session expiration is longer or shorter than 30 minutes.

The bug was that after the 30 minutes elapsed, the server was no longer accepting local requests either. This was the incorrect operation, as local requests should always be allowed in the development environment. This was fixed in build 1359.