PDA

View Full Version : How does one gauge application size and appropriate server resources?

ABC123

josevelez
06-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Just curious,

How can I get a gauge of what my application size is and how much server power I will need? Is there a magic ratio, say if my application is certain size then it would need so much CPU/Ram capacity?

For example, Zebrahost has pricing based on a range from Development to Large Applications - but how do figure out where my application falls within that range?

My application is around 30 mbs and growing. I've noticed some of my grids are running a little slow but I don't know if I need to give the server more power or if my database, which is run on Amazon's RDS needs more bandwidth/memory.

By the way, I must comment that I am extremely happy with Zebrahost. They are always very responsive and quick to help resolve problems. Kudos to them!

Steve Workings
06-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Total size of your application is nearly irrelevant to its performance. If your grid is slow, it's due to the design of your grid. Nobody can really help you here without some more analysis of your application. You should be running at least 4GB of RAM, and 6GB if your SQL database engine is on the same machine as your web server. "More power" doesn't really make sense in any context here. But appropriate RAM and design consideration are probably what you're after.

And reading your message leaves me confused: are you at Zebrahost, or Amazon?

josevelez
06-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Steve,

Can you tell I'm a newbie - "more power"? :rofl:

I have my V12 application server running on Zebrahost but my MySQL database is running on Amazon RDS. I noticed a big improvement in my charts when I move my database to a different server.

I've got 2048 RAM on the server so that is half what you mentioned. I may look at increasing it.

I have one grid that is a very simple grid with 6 columns that takes 10-20 seconds to load when I select '100' from the records per page selector. I watched my server monitor and the CPU usage jumped to 100% and did not drop until the grid came back with the resulting 100 records per page.

The underlying table/view has about 1200 records, not that many in my opinion...

Just curious

Steve Workings
06-18-2013, 06:56 PM
I think you already know the answer(s).

More RAM would help - that's one of the reason your db on another server helps.

100 records in a grid is heavy, and if you're doing mobile, even worse. Grids have long been the workhorse, but the UX and especially its new tools such as the List Control are often preferred, but everything depends on a complete set of specs and I only know what you describe here.

Ken Tjia
06-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Hi Jose,
I am surprise with your way of splitting the WAS & SQL
from my casual testing at home & office, having SQL reside away from server
is a real problem & never satisfy me in speed.

Yes, there is a heavy price to pay when sql server reside on the WAS & takes up all them RAM
from time to time.

Ken Tjia

kkfin
06-19-2013, 02:58 AM
Yes, there is a heavy price to pay when sql server reside on the WAS & takes up all them RAM
from time to time.

Many times memory is not a problem if using Sql Server express editions because they can use just 1 gb memory but if you run many instances in same server then you need 1 gb per running Sql Server express instance.

Steve Workings
06-19-2013, 09:27 AM
SQL Server Express is nice, and it's free, but it's not optimum. Instead, host with Zebrahost or Webjogger, and subscribe to their SQL Server Web Edition instead. It's cheap --- something like $25/month. And it doesn't have the limitations of Express, esp. the 1 GB memory limit.

josevelez
06-19-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm not using SQL Server, I use MySQL and so far I'm really happy with the current setup. When I had the MySQL db running on the same server as WAS I was finding that some of my charts would take too long to load. But when I moved the database to Amazon the charts loaded immediately.

Steve Workings
06-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Yes, but that's because you have 2 GB of RAM, and were trying to run both the Alpha Web App Server and MySQL and the rest of your OS all within that 2 GB of RAM. Now you've effectively increased your RAM by adding another machine (the Amazon machine) and given both the web server and MySQL more room.

josevelez
06-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Steve, you are right. I did not realize until after that increasing the RAM would have made a difference as well. Oh well, I personally like having the WAS and DB on different machines anyway. Personal preference. :grin: