PDA

View Full Version : Basic Web to Mobile Questions

ABC123

TPeterson
06-21-2013, 01:13 PM
I have a web application built around the Tabbedui that is working really well. It even works extremely well on my Surface Pro using windows 8 in IE10 (not so well on an iPad under Safari). Here are some basic questions...

1) I assume the use of the Tabbedui is not appropriate for mobile use, and that I need to create separate A5W pages on which to place the mobile panels. Correct?

2) Say my current URL is www.my_web_location.com and points to my Tabbedui as the "index page". Do I need a completely new URL for my mobile application, or would I use the same URL that upon login my device would be determined and the appropriate pages loaded?

There seem to be plenty of videos explaining how to create a mobile app, but I can't seem to find one that really gets to some of these really basic questions. Any links would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lance Gurd
06-21-2013, 01:25 PM
In my findings so far Tom, you can put a UX with panels onto an a5w page, then put that on the tabbed UI. The new demo mobile app shows how you can have a slide in menu rather like the tabbed ui, but you don't get the tabs to switch between pages, you have to use the menu. You could of course make a tabbed object within your main panel and use that. The problem is when you go to a small mobile device lots of tabs looks messy.

Regarding the login, you can have a processing page which can determine the type of device used to access it and take the appropriate action. There are a few threads in here on this.

TPeterson
06-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks Lance, I'll look at that demo and play around a bit more. I agree that using tabs on a smart phone will look very cluttered. It looks like the new AppLauncher component is designed to be the solution to my second question. Has anyone seen any information or videos as to its use?

Clipper87
06-21-2013, 07:31 PM
The idea of the App launcher is not to decide what pages to load but what components. No videos have been created about the app launcher as to date. I would like to see the ability to redirect to some other page though like m.mydomain.com which is very common (your provider can add a c-name record for you to your domain name).

Redirecting to another page obviously can be done by checking yourself what browser/device is being used by checking Request.UserAgent but it would be great if it could be done in the App launcher

Peter.Greulich
06-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Tabbed_UI works well on an I-pad if you change the ui's property settings to "mobile" and then use a mobile style. I use two diff. tabbed_ui's - one for desktop the other for mobile, but you might be able to dynamically code this; not sure.

TPeterson
06-24-2013, 05:54 PM
I use two diff. tabbed_ui's - one for desktop the other for mobile, but you might be able to dynamically code this; not sure.

Peter, so how do you access one tabbedui vs the other (since it sounds like you haven't dynamically coded this)? Is it a redirection along the lines of what Frank described? It's interesting that "mobile" is used generically to describe anything from a tablet to a smartphone, but I'm not sure it should. I consider my Surface Pro (10.6" screen) very mobile, and able to use a normal "web" interface quite satisfactorily, but clearly my Samsung Galaxy III smartphone is more mobile and definitely benefits from a special mobile interface. Just an observation.

Peter.Greulich
06-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Yes, Request.UserAgent. Basically the user logs in and is redirected to an a5w page w. xbasic that sends then to one page or the other.