PDA

View Full Version : Getting actual app on iphone or ipad

ABC123

isleyda1
07-03-2013, 01:02 PM
I have just downloaded Alpha Anywhere.

I am hoping to do the following.

Create what I will call a life insurance rate calculator.

The user will indicate the following;

Male, age 30, face amount 250,000, 20 year term
This information finds a table with the rate per thousand for this scenario and then does the calculation to tell you how much the premium will be for this product.

My first question, assuming I can figure out how to create the app.

How do I get it distributed. This is a company specific app and we would only want our agents to install it on their respective mobile devices. We do not want the general public to have access.

I don't yet understand how we will distribute to our agents.

I went to documentation. It all still seems to be Av11 data. Could not find detail about "publishing" to mobile devices.

Read information about remote testing but not actual implementation of getting app on actual iphone or ipad.

aschone
07-03-2013, 01:15 PM
The app would be hosted by a server and the mobile device would access it using its web browser.

isleyda1
07-03-2013, 01:32 PM
The app would be hosted by a server and the mobile device would access it using its web browser.

If i understand your reply, then there will not actually be an "app" that a user can use on the iphone or ipad. So no "offline" availability. If this is the case, I feel that the Alpha Anywhere descriptions are totally misleading.

I must really be missing something.

aschone
07-03-2013, 03:09 PM
If i understand your reply, then there will not actually be an "app" that a user can use on the iphone or ipad. So no "offline" availability. If this is the case, I feel that the Alpha Anywhere descriptions are totally misleading.

You are correct

christappan
07-03-2013, 03:12 PM
As I understand that there are apparently ways to make it feel like a native app, set up like a native app, and running distinct from an obvious browser window. There were references in one of their videos of one day being able to utilize local storage, but at this point there is no offline availability.

"I feel that the Alpha Anywhere descriptions are totally misleading."
Really sorry. You're not alone.

Keith Hubert
07-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Hi David,
If this is the case, I feel that the Alpha Anywhere descriptions are totally misleading. What do you think you have been mislead about?

kkfin
07-03-2013, 04:12 PM
I think the point is that you can sell to the customer an native application but how to sell application running in browser.

bea2701
07-03-2013, 04:29 PM
As I understand that there are apparently ways to make it feel like a native app, set up like a native app, and running distinct from an obvious browser window. There were references in one of their videos of one day being able to utilize local storage, but at this point there is no offline availability.

"I feel that the Alpha Anywhere descriptions are totally misleading."
Really sorry. You're not alone.

The AlphaSoftware documentation is clear that Anywhere deployes pure HTML5 webapps that you can run Anywhere on any Device that supports HTML5.
That would not be possible is it where native for that you need Cordova eq Phonecap to run and you have to build a runtime for each OS like android or Iphone etc.
For an Alpha Anywhere apps you will need a ApplicationServer hosted on a Windows Machine Anywhere.
For the moment there is no local storage option on the [client]device perhaps that will come at later time

kkfin
07-03-2013, 04:50 PM
The AlphaSoftware documentation is clear

Little of topic but where is the documentation? I am interested of xbasic improvements in Alpha Anywhere.

DaveF
07-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Your app can save persistent data in local storage and even access the native database engine using SQL. Even though Alpha has not yet implemented Action Javascript routines to do everything, you can instead use Cordova's implementation directly with Javascript.

http://docs.phonegap.com/en/2.9.0/cordova_storage_storage.md.html#localStorage

isleyda1
07-03-2013, 07:58 PM
The AlphaSoftware documentation is clear that Anywhere deployes pure HTML5 webapps that you can run Anywhere on any Device that supports HTML5.
That would not be possible is it where native for that you need Cordova eq Phonecap to run and you have to build a runtime for each OS like android or Iphone etc.
For an Alpha Anywhere apps you will need a ApplicationServer hosted on a Windows Machine Anywhere.
For the moment there is no local storage option on the [client]device perhaps that will come at later time

First all of this is really over my head. I do know that there are some apps that are built using HTML5 and somehow work "offline".

isleyda1
07-03-2013, 08:00 PM
I am such a newbie, that I can easily admit I have no clue what you are trying to tell me. It is going to be a fun adventure learning all of these things.

christappan
07-03-2013, 10:30 PM
David, in simple terms:
A web app has all the application files and code and the data stored on the server, and the application sends the HTML and Javascript to the phone or tablet or computer or whatever when they access the website. So the code is whatever the developer wanted it to be and the server determines what needs to be sent to the browser and sends something browser-friendly.

A native app has at least some of the application files and code built for that device--i.e. the iPhone app would have iPhone code and the Android app would have Android code. Many times there is some data stored on the device as well, so an offline mode is possible.

EDIT: I wrote something based on a misreading.

Terry
07-03-2013, 10:55 PM
After using Cordova/Phonegap together with Xcode to transform an A5 web app to a native iOS app, you must have the Apple Enterprise Developer license to distribute the app in-house (i.e., available only within your company and not available to the public on the Apple App Store). The current price for this Apple license is $299/year. Details are available at the following link:

https://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/enterprise/

Terry

josevelez
07-06-2013, 03:09 PM

Yes, a sore spot for some of us...

bob9145
08-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Jose,
I searched this subject because I wanted to know if my app could be installed like a apple app. These are my thoughts and suggestions on the subject.

You are thinking in terms of the current app store app. The only difference the way I understand it, is that an Alpha app is completely operating in the cloud. This allows you to have everyone on the same page (working out of the same database). Your app can be accessed by any type of device that anywhere supports. You can just have each user add an icon to there Phone, tablet, or PC. The icon takes you to the log in or home page of your app. So you open the link, just like you would open an app. You just will need a web connection, which you need to use most apps anyway.

This allows your app to work in real time. So you could for example display real time sales figure of each person using the app. You could do this as a chart for example. You could have the tip of the day display when the users open the app. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.

I guess you could write a routine , "Install the App." Which would just be a way to automatically create the icon (a shortcut to your start or login page) on your device. I agree with you that this is a little different from the usual go to the apple store and select and download, but the idea is the app can be deployed on the increasing number of different types of of devices not just an Iphone.

I would suggest that Alpha5 or one of this forum's experts create a component builder, or adapt a UX component that creates the icon (shortcut). So you would click the, "Install the App button," in turn it would create the shortcut on your desktop. Every desktop software does this, as well as the contemporary smart phone and tablet apps. The trick would be the ability to do this across the array of devices that Alpha anywhere includes. If your just using Iphones it may be simpler.

You can do just about anything that a tethered app could do, and much, much, much more. So I would say your conclusion that Alpha5 is misleading you isn't correct. What they are doing is broadening your horizon.
Good Luck.
Bob

kkfin
08-31-2013, 05:51 AM
You can do just about anything that a tethered app could do, and much, much, much more. So I would say your conclusion that Alpha5 is misleading you isn't correct. What they are doing is broadening your horizon.
Good Luck.

One question. How you sell your application and where?

bob9145
09-01-2013, 11:34 AM
You would sell a subscription, since you would be maintaining the server, you would be offering a continuing service by giving the customer the ability store, share, and manipulate data. The concept is built around the original cloud based data driven web application, but looks, and feels like an app.

kkfin
09-01-2013, 04:35 PM
You would sell a subscription, since you would be maintaining the server, you would be offering a continuing service by giving the customer the ability store, share, and manipulate data. The concept is built around the original cloud based data driven web application, but looks, and feels like an app.

A lot of more to do than in native applications. Why not just do the native application it feels and it is native.