PDA

View Full Version : Introduced my first mobile phone app and customer has trouble on Android with Chrome

ABC123

kingcarol
07-23-2013, 05:18 PM
I just introduced my first mobile phone style app to my customers and one of them has already called me with an issue. I have been testing on an IPhone and Safari and all has been working well. This customer has an Android 4.2.2 with a Chrome browser and also said it was a Samsung SGHI337. In my app, you can edit a record. When this customer edits the record, it is extremely slow to open and when he clicks in a field to edit, his phone keyboard does not come up.... although he did indicate that after quite awhile it tried to come up. He didn't have any trouble entering info into the Search field. I have not had trouble editing on the IPhone. Does anyone have any experience or advice for other types of mobile devices and a suggestion as to what might be happening?

Bill Griffin
07-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Carol,

Is there a test account available that we could log into from an android device to try it? I don't have mine with me, but I could check tonight. Can your customer try it from firefox and see how that works?

Bill

kingcarol
07-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Thanks, Bill. I don't have a test account available. But thanks for the suggestion. I have asked my client to try it from Firefox and let me know what happens.

coleresources
07-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Carol,

The only issues I've been having on the android side are rendering issues. Can you give us a little more detail as to how you've built the mobile component?

drgarytraub
07-25-2013, 06:43 AM
Are you using a List control?

coleresources
07-25-2013, 12:34 PM
I've had MANY issues and eventually stopped trying to embed/use grids inside of my mobile UI. List controls and ux based forms are the best way to present and effect data on the mobile side.

kingcarol
07-25-2013, 04:20 PM
My customer just reported that it is working fine with Firefox, but not Chrome. I use a list control to show a list of contact names, then when one is clicked, it moves to a panel card with bound text boxes for editing that contact. When this customer would click in a field to edit it, his phone keyboard would not come up in Chrome. The keyboard IS actibated in Firefox.

James Nicholson-Plank
09-09-2013, 11:49 PM
I tried the mobile test app that comes with Alpaha anywhere on samsung s3 with android 4.1.2 and it is very slow with alot of items in the customer list and same issue with camera button. Did anyone solve this above issue?

BigBoss1
09-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Just a quick note I have found in Android systems using Opera Mini (found in the Play Store) is by far the quickest and best Browser in Android. Give it a try you will be impressed.
I travelled around the world for six months with my Android Tablet and was waiting forever for the browser to load, Chrome, Firefox all took forever, then putting Opera Mini on my machine was a godsend.

Clipper87
09-22-2013, 12:11 AM
Android compresses site content via their servers; Chrome very recently has this now too (at least on the ipad) See this article: http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/17/google-expands-chrome-data-compression-feature-on-ios/

CharlesParker
09-22-2013, 10:31 PM
I have a Galaxy note2 (samsung) and test what I am working on in IE and Chrome. I have found that chrome has some issues with some elements that IE does not. For me it all revolved around style changes done beyond the <project style> if I changed something such as a background in a label in the grid it shows up fine in IE but chrome still shows the project style. If I were you I would look at the subtle differences you may have in client side vs server side javascript or styles, it might just be a simple thing like that causing chrome to hiccup.
If you need a beta tester to load an app on a samsung android I can do that for you. I am not much more than a noob to Alpha5 but I know my phone, lol