PDA

View Full Version : Interactive Window Updated??

ABC123

stanlyn
02-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Hi,

Its been 5.5 years ago since I last test drove Alpha 5. Now its Alpha Anywhere, and I've noticed many of the concerns that kept me from adopting A5 have not been addressed for the Interactive window and other places.

I've noticed that the "Interactive Window" still does not support undo... Why not?

Can the output from the IW be directed to another window instead of mixing it up with the other stuff in the window? It would be far more useful if output could be directed to another window.

Just wondering... can I create a new script file (and not save it), then edit it with commands and functions, then select and run a block or line and execute it using the "Execute Selected Text" from the right click menu. All with undo capabilities, and save it for later if needed, otherwise do a no save close if done. Could command output be redirected to another window, and could that window be created via code in the parent window?

Thanks, Stanley

Ray in Capetown
02-09-2014, 12:57 AM
Your description is pretty accurate. You can't do all those additional things.
Would be nice -that does cause some frustration but don't forget the other things it does that we benefit from.
Maybe the system you did adopt 5.5 years ago has it all. Right!

Alpha Software can listen - there was another post about this in the last few months.
My personal bugbear is building changing testing line by line labouriously til it works then highlight all for Ctrl-C and oops!!!
There is a save option but its very clutzy.

Peter.Greulich
02-09-2014, 12:57 PM
It sounds like you are looking for excuses not to use Alpha? Interactive is interactive. Don't see how "undo" makes any sense there? You can send output to a text file or xdialog or the trace window. That's not exactly what you are asking but I don't see the problem. You can comment out lines by highlighting and selecting from the toolbar in the code editor. I really don't see and real issues here.

stanlyn
02-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Hi Ray,
I never adopted anything back then. I just stayed the course with VFP 9 until the other tools became better. I am impressed with the new touch enabled development I've seen in Alpha. Since xbasic is a lot like fox pro and Alpha is or was advertised as a fox replacement, seems like that would complete it. Their interactive window is very similar to fox pro's command window, with half the features. Also all the normal windows text commands should be supported like cut, copy, paste, undo, print, and save, that Alpha stopped short. If you've never used visual foxpro, then you'd never know what productivity it brings to the developer. And I guess that's what makes selecting a replacement tool so hard, as we are required to give up a lot in order to get other features. That is why I never switched, just hoping the tool would incorporate some of these ideas into their product. I addressed this issue 5.5 years ago...
Thanks, Stanley

Ray in Capetown
02-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Well Stan sounds quite smart. Never have used VFP myself but even through Clipper and alpha I occasionally use the original old dBase interface to issue short one line dbf commands-- find, restructure, - commands like REPLACE FOR fieldname="zzz" with anothername="XXX" in seconds even though the Alpha operations are immensely flexible sometimes you just want quick.
However, were I to have the choice all over again I choose Alpha, no regrets, I haven't met a brick wall yet that couldn't be got through. One can look at strong points of another system but tend to expect all the strong points of the one you use. Wont happen.

Ray in Capetown
02-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Having given that example I recently wrote a function in A5 that now does that for me in one line goes like this
replaceall(tablename c,fieldnam c, with value, [filter c])

MoGrace
04-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Hi,

Its been 5.5 years ago since I last test drove Alpha 5. Now its Alpha Anywhere, and I've noticed many of the concerns that kept me from adopting A5 have not been addressed for the Interactive window and other places.

I've noticed that the "Interactive Window" still does not support undo... Why not?

Can the output from the IW be directed to another window instead of mixing it up with the other stuff in the window? It would be far more useful if output could be directed to another window.

Just wondering... can I create a new script file (and not save it), then edit it with commands and functions, then select and run a block or line and execute it using the "Execute Selected Text" from the right click menu. All with undo capabilities, and save it for later if needed, otherwise do a no save close if done. Could command output be redirected to another window, and could that window be created via code in the parent window?

Thanks, Stanley
Hi Stanley,
You most definitely can do that in the IW. Open the IW then click on the toolbar button that starts a new Xbasic script. Click again on the button that opens up a new Action script. Both of those have an Undo available on the Edit menu. Test your script in the IW and/or in either new script window. In the IW you highlight the code and click on Run. Upon close you will be prompted to save your changes or not.

A little time spent in the Help goes a long way :wink: