PDA

View Full Version : Drilldown in layout table report

ABC123

Bill Parker
03-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Is this possible? I don't see an event structure for a cell in a layout table report.

As in a free form report, I need a cell click event to fire some xbasic. Converting a free form report with drilldown to lt, I don't find the event anywhere in the lt version.

Bill.

DickJames
03-08-2014, 11:23 PM
On some of my reports, I have placed hotspots with onPush events that link to other screens. As a part of the onPush event, I closed the report when I opened the screen.

-- Dick James

Bill Parker
03-11-2014, 07:55 AM
In a layout table report? Hotspots are a toolbox item only available in free form reports.

DickJames
03-11-2014, 08:17 AM
Sorry about that. The layout table reports are new with Version 11 & the Alphapedia implies that they are useful for web reports. Since this thread is for desktop applications, I assumed you were using a conventional report. My error. I have not used the layout table reports.

Bill Parker
03-11-2014, 09:45 AM
One advantage of layout table reports for desktop is that they preserve the layout when saving a report as Excel. Free form can really garble things when saving as Excel.

One downside is that it appears they have not been widely used.

Bill.

Al Buchholz
03-11-2014, 12:27 PM
One downside is that it appears they have not been widely used.

Bill.

We are waiting for you to lead us.... :wink:

MoGrace
07-31-2018, 03:04 PM
It would be great if someone who uses these reports in the desktop WOULD take the lead and show us how to use them! Like how do you get an imported browse to have a line around it? If the genie didn't dump it into the subreport footer section, I could at least add a line at the bottom...

Bill Parker
08-01-2018, 10:21 AM
Everything in a LT report is in a "cell". And each cell has border properties that can be turned on. Bring up the Properties dialog from Task List -> Properties. Is that what you are talking about?

MoGrace
08-01-2018, 11:38 AM
I think so. For the subreport header fields that worked pretty well, but in the footer where the browse is, all I get is double lines since a bottom border applies to every row. I tried to overlay a frame but it needs to be a fixed size and that threw it onto a 2nd page.

Bill Parker
08-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Are you saying that in a freeform report with an embedded subreport, that the subreport converted to layout table? I just tested one and it did not convert the subreport. LT reports want you to create a second LT report and link into a cell(s) it as the subreport.

At first I resisted creating LT reports from scratch, but it saves heartache if you do it. Otherwise, try to get the free form report objects lined up like html cells as much as possible. If you convert FF reports, you can use Reports -> Check for overlapping controls before hand. Conditional objects do not convert well to LT, and will report as overlapping controls. After converting a FF report, you will likely want Arrange -> Automerge to reduce the row clutter.

LT reports are like Forest Gump and a box of chocolates... But nice when you get it done.

Bill.

MoGrace
08-02-2018, 07:12 PM
Since I have your attention - can you tell me what the difference is in properties for the OBJECT vs properties for the CELL? They appear to be the same properties, but what is the object?

thanks,

Bill Parker
08-03-2018, 01:13 PM
Object -> Properties is used for freeform reports, since that report type is a collection of objects. Same as right click on object, Properties. I never use that for LT reports, which is a collection of cells. For LT, use TaskList -> Properties. That dialog can be used for freeform reports also, but I tend to use the older version for freeform.

Bill Parker
08-06-2018, 10:45 AM
One nice thing about LT reports that I just used... An entire row can be suppressed based on an expression. This can be done somewhat with conditional objects in freeform, but it is much more cumbersome.