PDA

View Full Version : UI or dialog on Desktop

ABC123

jkukuda
06-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Can somebody guide me so I can find out how to put a dialog on the desktop. I can put a grid but don't know how to do a dialog.

Ted Giles
06-02-2014, 05:48 PM
John, look at Learning Xdialog in alphapedia.

Stan Mathews
06-02-2014, 06:09 PM
I believe he means dialog component, not xdialog. If available it would make sense that it would be found in the supercontrol list in the form object toolbox.

Ted Giles
06-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Then a search for Dialog Component in Alphapedia may help or provide info.

GGandhi
06-02-2014, 09:03 PM
as far as I know web components will not work on the desktop side after internet explorer version 10 and windows 7.
the mechanism to show in desktop is similar to working preview in web side which is broken after version 11 of internet explorer and in version 8 of windows.
I see you are on version 12 and it is supposed to have ton of improvements and eye candy. if you can develop xdialog why not move on to web or mobile side which is where alpha seems heading.

WokingJon
06-03-2014, 02:09 AM
as far as I know web components will not work on the desktop side after internet explorer version 10 and windows 7.
the mechanism to show in desktop is similar to working preview in web side which is broken after version 11 of internet explorer and in version 8 of windows.
I see you are on version 12 and it is supposed to have ton of improvements and eye candy. if you can develop xdialog why not move on to web or mobile side which is where alpha seems heading.
Web components work in Alpha V12 with IE11/Win8, as you say they are broken in Alpha V11. I still think Alpha should fix this, but not much hope of that after all this time.

Ted Giles
06-03-2014, 04:26 AM
Correct Jon. There are others working on a solution as it may be DLL centered. If they get anywhere, it might be free or it might cost a bit. Depends who comes up with the solution.

Alpha have given up on it as it may affect sales of V12 and the DT ain't where they are going.

GGandhi
06-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Web components work in Alpha V12 with IE11/Win8, as you say they are broken in Alpha V11. I still think Alpha should fix this, but not much hope of that after all this time.
I agree too. if they can do it so soon why they didn't fix it in version 11. lot many people would have been happier.
to get back to the original question, if web components work in version 12 and if you know how to build grids , then what you should do is to have a launching form and on click of a button launch tabbedui main page and the can have a button to call the xdialog incorporated in the tabbedui.

Steve Wood
06-03-2014, 10:05 AM
I see this was already answered while I did testing to ensure I was correct, here are my results regarding running WCD in various conditions.

I have a fully developed WCD app with one Desktop component and everything else built using web components, here is how it runs:

WCD on V11 - runs on Win7/IE11, Win7/IE10. Fails on Win8.1/IE11

WCD on V12 - runs on Win7/IE11, Win7/IE10, Win8.1/IE11

Steve Wood
06-03-2014, 10:18 AM
have a button to call the xdialog incorporated in the tabbedui.We may be mixing up terms here. "xdialog" is a desktop object. "Grid", "dialog" and "UX" are web components, although "dialog" is also used when referring to xdialog. "Bbrowse" is the common term for what looks like a grid in the desktop. Confused?

Anyway, John from your original post, what do you want to accomplish? Did you want to incorporate web components (grid, dialog) in a desktop application, or when you said "grid" and "dialog" were you referring to a purely desktop design?

Not sure you can incorporate an xdialog in to a tabbedui. That would be DCW (Desktop Components in a Web application)

GGandhi
06-03-2014, 11:05 AM
you are correct, I meant dialog not xdialog. the sentence, if you read in entirety , refers to web components. inherently it should be dialog, a web side part than the xdialog which is desktop.

if web components work in version 12 and if you know how to build grids , then what you should do is to have a launching form and on click of a button launch tabbedui main page and the can have a button to call the xdialog incorporated in the tabbedui.
thanks for pointing it out, steve.