PDA

View Full Version : Desktop App runs very slow using Active Link tables connected to a MySQL database

ABC123

boba
06-04-2014, 01:14 PM
I think this issue has been discussed before, but has anyone found a way to improve response times using MySQL in a desktop application? I've used MySQL for web applications and the response times are fine. I am building a web app for a customer who also wants to still use an upsized desktop application. I upsized the database (using a subset of data) and then loaded all the data into the MySQL tables. After fixing field rules issues in the Active Link tables, I started to test the application and found the response times to be unacceptable.

I have gone back to MySQL and created indexes, views, and foreign keys in an effort to improve response times, but with little change. The parent table in the database has over 30K records and 2 child tables have over 100K and 200K records respectively.

How should the settings on the last page of the Create Active Link table genie be defined? Is there any documentation that explains what to select?

Sometimes I encounter the following message: "2006 - mysql server has gone away." Does anyone know how prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Bob A.

Ted Giles
06-04-2014, 03:04 PM
My experience with DT and any SQL is not the best. It runs slowly and often unacceptably slowly. However, it works well enough if you don't try to work with complex sets and database calls.
All depends on the configuration of the network, your table and relationship structure.
Mysqlserver has gone away is a timout message, so you are asking for something which is convoluted or impossible in the application.
Suggest you revisit the database in Mysql and check the constraints.

Stan Mathews
06-04-2014, 03:35 PM
In my experience, limited to assisting others, you'll find much quicker response times if you use local tables and populate them as needed with SQL::ResultSet::ToOpenTable(). The SQL_Lookup() Function is useful for returning single values.

Ted Giles
06-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Niice byline Stan.

Stan Mathews
06-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately not original but thought provoking at least.