PDA

View Full Version : Active Link table Drops


ABC123

russgoeckner
08-04-2014, 12:52 AM
I have a simple Active Link table connected to a SQL 2012 table with 5 fields. I can read,write, run reports, etc but then out of the blue I cant access the table from the control panel. It has a question mark on it. if I run a sql query from alphas query genie it works fine but the table is useless untill i rebuild it and give it the same name.

Stan Mathews
08-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Alpha replaces the normal table icon with one including the question mark when it can't find the physical disk file, whether it be native dbf, passive, or active link. It would seem some process is deleting your active link definition.

russgoeckner
08-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Understood. Whats really odd though is if I go to Alphas built in SQl query genie it will connect to the sql table and show records that I search for. So I know Alpha can see the sql table and access it but for whatever reason it cant be accessed anywhere else within alpha~

Stan Mathews
08-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Two different things entirely.

The sql query genie uses the connection string you have defined to retrieve data from the sql table according to whatever parameters you supply. The active link table is a disk file containing infomation about how Alpha should communicate with (using that same connection string) and display data from that same table, more or less a static definiton of fields to retrieve.

russgoeckner
08-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Let me add to the mystery...This is in a controlled environment for testing purposes. All on my laptop. Not connected to any network. I added a passive link table with the same criteria and when the Active Link table is broken (for lack of better words), the passive link table can be refreshed and reports can be ran, data viewede, etc. with no troubles. Any ideas?

Al Buchholz
08-04-2014, 12:05 PM
What anti-virus are you using?

It may not like something and moves the table to it's anti-virus chest.

Check the logs to see if it happens.

Tom Cone Jr
08-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Russ,

When this happens is the DBF file still present in the database directory? Check with Windows Explorer or your favorite file manager, outside of Alpha Five.

Do you run any Alpha Five batch operations against this table?

-- tom

russgoeckner
08-04-2014, 12:57 PM
My AV is MS Security Essentials. No quarantines exist. To be safe I added the dbf table to an exclusion list. In doing so I saw that the dbf file is not in the windows directory but the others are..ddd, etc. There are no operations on this table. It just disappears!!

Stan Mathews
08-04-2014, 01:04 PM
You mention creating a passive link table based on the same sql source as the active link table. Are you naming both the same thing?

russgoeckner
08-04-2014, 01:13 PM
No... Signatures.DBF is the Active Link table and SignaturespassiveLink.dbf is the passive Link table..

Ted Giles
08-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Are you running any of the following on you machine;
Skype
TeamViewer
Toad

russgoeckner
08-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Skype and teamviewer are installed but not in use at the time. looking at task viewer, I dont see them running.

Ted Giles
08-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Look at the ports they use.
Port 80 is the default. Check and try another. There is an option for this in both.

russgoeckner
08-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Even though they (teamviewer and skype) arent running?
How does an alpha desktop app use a tcp or udp port? I didn't think of this...

Stan Mathews
08-04-2014, 06:22 PM
If you edit your connection string you should see the port assignment next to the server name.

russgoeckner
08-05-2014, 01:18 AM
Port assignment is "Default". I have some new clues that I hope help everyone figure this out...I've verified that the dbf table is missing from the windows directory. What happens is whenever I edit the table structure within Alpha, the name changes from Signatures.dbf to garbage like $$56878.dbf. If I never edit the table structure its fine. The reason i need to edit the structure is to change the default field type for 1 feild to png.

Ted Giles
08-05-2014, 04:56 AM
You might want to look at whether the service is still running or not. I have tried to track problems of no database found when the service was stopped or interrupted. Drives me nuts.
Also try changing the structure on the SQL side, and then reload. If you have two different structures you will hit problems. Nail one side down (the SQL side) and then reconnect/rebuild the linkage.

GGandhi
08-05-2014, 07:26 AM
What happens is whenever I edit the table structure within Alpha, the name changes from Signatures.dbf to garbage like $$56878.dbf. If I never edit the table structure its fine. The reason i need to edit the structure is to change the default field type for 1 feild to png.
that's what I thought you are doing,
you should edit the field in the sql and then go to your active link table right click and the on the active link table sub menu select refresh definition then it should work ok.
you are treating alpha active table as a front end to the sql table, yes it is a front end to look not to work with.

if in doubt do this
create a new active link table make sure everything is working, then go modify the sql table
the look into your active link table it is still the same now refresh then you will see the updated material.