PDA

View Full Version : AlphaAnywhere Developer and Runtime Conflict

ABC123

Gustavo1478
11-12-2014, 08:35 PM
I’ve got a problem on one of my machines that have both the Runtime & The Developer editions of AA installed, no matter which version I try to run it defaults to opening the Runtime PLUS version and does not allow me to change the license because it’s a runtime version.

I’ve tried un-installing all versions of alpha on my machine and installing ONLY the developer edition but somehow it still opens under the runtime even though it’s not installed, very puzzling.

This began to happen after I installed the most recent patch for the developer and runtime. I’ve also tried installing an earlier build (4399) but I still have this issue.

Any Ideas how to correct this?

Ted Giles
11-13-2014, 05:56 AM
You will find that the new install may have overwritten the launch icon.
Look at the properties of the icon and check.
I create different labels, like ALPHA SDK, and ALPHA RT.
Try running the versions from their installed directories.

Gustavo1478
11-13-2014, 11:21 AM
My Alpha is installed at "C:\Program Files (x86)\a5V12" and I launch the "alpha5.exe" but it still runs the RT version?

Ted Giles
11-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Sounds like a Registry corruption then if you have separate folders for the RT and Dev for both installs. That is pretty important.

You may need to completely uninstall Alpha, clear out the registry and reinstall both.
Personally I keep the Dev version in the Root drive and not in the Prog Files area.
DT will load to the Prog Files but suggest a different place for Dev.

Al Buchholz
11-13-2014, 01:50 PM
My Alpha is installed at "C:\Program Files (x86)\a5V12" and I launch the "alpha5.exe" but it still runs the RT version?

What does launch alpha5.exe mean click by click.

As Dave mentioned use a shortcut with a unique name to start each version that is installed into its own directory.

DaveM
11-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Adversely to Ted, I let the dev version install where it wants and once it is installed, I add a "DEV" to the end of the startup link name on the desktop. Then install the runtime in a folder of the main drive. I use alda because it is my company name. Then add "RT" at the end of the startup link name on the desktop.

Gustavo1478
11-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Those are some good tips on how to properly "House Keep" my apps, thank you all for the information.

I uninstalled all versions of Alpha, deleted some registry keys and re-installed the developer version and that did the trick. I've never had an issue with installing patches and getting this problem so it caught me way off guard.

But all is good now, Thanks Again.

DaveM
11-13-2014, 03:46 PM
Glad for you and thanks for posting.

MoGrace
12-23-2014, 09:51 AM
Could someone elaborate on which registry keys were deleted?