PDA

View Full Version : Form printing to Landscape

ABC123

Terrymorgan
01-04-2015, 06:53 AM
I have been redesigning some of my Forms to a landscape size, in order to get some more room ( the length of a form is limited hence the change).
It seems it doesn't matter what printer I use, even a tiff driver & to pdf using alpha's built in driver I am getting nuisance 1 or 2 blank (separator) pages.
I have made sure all margins & page design are with the limits of A4 Landscape.
I also notice when previewing it uses portrait - This may be a bug that creates the Blanks.
Also the pdf produced is an odd size page - Can you set options via xbasic for the pdf?
Can any one help with this issue
Thanks
Terry

Ronald Anusiewicz
01-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I was thinking of reports, not a Form.

These are the page settings I use with no problems.

On the printer tab I have use default printer and checked show printer setup on print.

DaveM
01-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Ronald,
One thing that can throw you off is that some printers need a 6.7 at the bottom. In landscape, that would be the right side.

However the top can generally be 2 or 3, so add 2 to right and remove 2 on left.

I hope that helps a little. It may not be all the problem.

If the report is based on a set and there are child records with records and others with no records, you can get blank pages.
There is a setting in the report for that. I will try and find it.

In report edit:
report - Properties - band - region properties
The keys here are keep on page and shrink contents. If you play with the different settings it will generally work out right. Most likely the Detail section or group section will be the needed one(s)

DaveM
01-04-2015, 01:16 PM
the length of a form is limited hence the change

What do you perceive the limit to be and done in what context?

Stan Mathews
01-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Access the Report tab of the control panel, Right click in the white area, choose Import Layout, choose your form.

Adjust as necessary. Printing a form is ill advised and can be frustrating.

Terrymorgan
01-19-2015, 08:35 AM
Importing a form on the report tab, just seem to (re)create another form, not a report.

I there any more advice or help out there for my issue?

Thanks
Terry

Stan Mathews
01-19-2015, 09:29 AM
No, it recreates your form as a report and you now have the report editor tools available to you.

Terrymorgan
01-19-2015, 09:44 AM
If I export a form to an .a5pkg file, when I try to import on the report tab it just creates another form - where am I going wrong?
Thanks
Terry

Tom Cone Jr
01-19-2015, 09:54 AM
Terry,

The desktop user guide has a useful topic (http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/Using+the+Report+Editor#Importing_a_Layout_as_a_Starting_Point_for_a_New_Report)on this.

You'll find it near the bottom of this material in a subtopic called "Importing a Layout as a Starting Point for a New Report"

-- tom

Terrymorgan
01-19-2015, 10:39 AM
Got it now, thanks & can see that it is likely to be something to do with printing overflow - something you can change in reports but not for forms.
Thanks to all.
Terry

MoGrace
01-22-2015, 01:50 AM
Hi Terry,
You also might want to look at the report preview supercontrol that allows you to embed a report into a form. You can create hyperlinks on key fields in the report to drill down to detail reports or open a form; and add ordering and filter features to the form that will refresh the report with the changes. If you are familiar at all with Quickbooks reports, you can create a similar feature in Alpha.

Terrymorgan
01-22-2015, 05:03 AM
Thanks Robin, but my issue was the other way round, but this may help as I will now investigate if you can embed a form in a report.
Terry