PDA

View Full Version : Posting Error - Field is Not Recognized

ABC123

forskare
01-14-2015, 01:40 AM
This is a simple Post Operation, a one time task. Both tables have the identical fields:

Customerid N 8
Exempt C 1

Customerid is the linking field and the operation is to replace the value in the Exempt field from the Transaction table to the Master table. The genie is easy and straight forward. However, this is the error message I get. the exempt field in the Transaction table is not recognized. I've reviewed the field spelling and structures 4 times, I'm stumped as to why the transaction field 'Exempt' is not recognized. Error message is attached.

DaveM
01-14-2015, 02:57 AM
Not sure but taking a shot. Is exempt a reserved word in alpha? To test change both to exempt1 or something?
I cannot think of any other reason.

Tom Cone Jr
01-14-2015, 05:58 AM
Hi, Ken.

Your table name is illegal. Must begin with an alpha character. This is a DBF requirement. -- tom

Bob Whitaker
01-14-2015, 09:14 AM
Well spotted Tom reinforces the need to look carefully for a simple answer rather than spend hours looking for a complex solution.
Does make you wonder how the table was allowed to be saved with that name in the first place.
Bob

forskare
01-14-2015, 10:56 AM
Hello Stan, Tom and Bob,

I changed the table name and it worked as ordered. As Bob says, it sure is strange that the table was allowed to be save in the first place. I also wonder why it referred to a field and not the table. Perhaps Alpha will change the error message or better yet, create a new error message so the table cannot be saved in the first place. No doubt there are many who have table names which begin with a number.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I appreciate your time.

Tom Cone Jr
01-14-2015, 11:36 AM
Ken,

I recognized the issue because I've bumped into myself (more than once). Good luck with your project.

AND

It's worth mentioning that fieldnames in your table structures must begin with an alpha character, too. This can be a problem with saving an Excel sheet as a DBF, since Excel will assign the column headers to fieldnames, and column headers often begin with numeric characters.

-- tom

forskare
01-14-2015, 05:56 PM
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the FYI. My project is certainly interesting as I'm combining Web grids with the Desktop app. Not everything on the web part is compatible so not only am I experimenting with the various web features but also what works on the DT and what doesn't. There is a lot about the web features that I really, really like, beginning with the grid styles. Choose the style and you're good to go. Being able to see column totals without creating calculated fields is real handy as well. The search features for a grid are phenomenal, a very rich feature indeed. I really wish Alpha would make a web/desktop version. IMHO, unless they do, they will be aced out by other vendors, especially those which have that feature. Basically, You develop once and it's used on the desktop, Web or mobile. Alpha isn't there yet as the DT cannot be used on the Web or mobile and there are some web/mobile features which cannot be used on the DT. That said, Alpha is a great product. I just hope they don't get left behind.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.