PDA

View Full Version : Searching multiple words in a single field

ABC123

Chris.Tanti
12-10-2004, 07:40 AM
I hope I can explain this clearly.

Can I configure the search method to look for multiple words (whole or part) and return the closest matching values.

I know it kind of does this already but its not quite prioritising the returned list.

For example if I wanted to look for an entry that contained both Manager and accounts I would enter
manager,accounts
in the search field. This seams to return all records that contain either, or these values but the records that actually contain both can appear anywhere in the list and not at the top (which is where I would expect them).

Is this possible? or am I unecesarily confused!
Amazing product BTW, Im having fun again!

Selwyn Rabins
12-10-2004, 09:48 AM
i am not sure I understand your question, but if you know how to express the filter using xbasic so that it returns the correct records, then use the dialog component to collect the search criteria from the user.

in the dialog's after validate event create the filter expression and then open the page that has the grid on it.

see the 'cascading lookup' example in the sample web app.

Chris.Tanti
12-13-2004, 01:46 AM
Selwyn, will give it a go (know that I understand how to apply custom filters).

Heres an example list:
aa bb
bb
aa
bb aa cc
dd

I enter aa,bb as my search

I would expect the records with both aa and bb to come to the top of the list in preference to records with just the one part present. I believe what actually happens is it sequentially finds all records with EITHER aa or bb in them (no priority in the returned results).