PDA

View Full Version : Basic Web component won't deploy

ABC123

Kelvin Jenkins
12-06-2004, 04:46 PM
I am fairly new to Alpha 5 web projects but I am trying to do something that seems simple but it will not work not one bit! OK. I have a table for which I set up a read only grid or view, lets call it "webcomp01". I then created a HTML page, actually, an A5W page and inserted the web component "webcomp01" and it works fine in preview but when I load it to my web server with all its files, I get everything except the grid itself. All other objects show and links work fine, but the grid is a no-show. What am I doing wrong?

Lenny Forziati
12-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Are you publishing the files to your server or are you manually uploading them. They must be published. Also your web server must be running the Web Aplpication Server software, you cannot use A5W pages and components with other web server software.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
12-08-2004, 06:40 AM
I got this from Kelvin via email:

Thanks for the information! But I am not sure I understand the value of the WAS if I can t publish my applications on my ISP s server. I am currently using Quickbase by Intuit and I was looking for a replacement.

Lenny Forziati
12-08-2004, 06:49 AM
The Web Application Server gets it's power and ease of use from Xbasic, Alpha Five's programming language. As a result, only our server can handle these applications. This is no different than the way ASP, PHP, Cold Fusion and other work, but because the Web Application Server is considerably newer, not all providers have this hosting capability yet.

You have several options for deployment:

- Speak to your current provider about offering this service for you. You can give them my email addres if they have any questions regarding how to go about doing this for you.

- Speak to an ISP that already offers this service. Currently FirmSupport (www.firmsupport.com) is the only provider I am aware of, but several others will be offering services soon.

- Host your own site.

-Lenny

Kelvin Jenkins
12-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks Lenny. I have a suggestion. FirmSupport should allow those who are evaluating A5 v6, not license holders only, to evaluate the software on their server during the Beta period.

Thanks for the info.

bowenjohn
12-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Our purpose for requiring an A5 v6 license is to support the business model of Alpha Software. It is possible to create a5w pages (less components) without using A5 V6.

If you want to do a trial test, send a us an email and I am sure we can accomodate you.

John Bowen