PDA

View Full Version : Time To Process a5w page

ABC123

Phil Rolf
12-04-2004, 09:57 AM
Attached is a jpeg of an a5w page that takes nearly 10 minutes to process in LivePreview and sometimes equally as long to process when up on the server. While watching the status bar the processing seems to be relativly fast until it almost gets to half way, then the bar just sits there as if nothing is happening.

What you see in the jpeg is a small portion of what this page will contain. I may have 60 of these components when I get done. Why is it taking V6 so long to process the a5w page? As the page increases with more components is the time to process going to get worse?

Phil Rolf
12-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Forgot the attachment...here it is...

JerryBrightbill
12-05-2004, 06:32 AM
Philip

Without seeing the code for the component, there is no way to see way the speed is slow. However, I suspect you are loading the component multiple times as well as running the component multiple times. This will dramatically slow the page. Since it appears the same component is being repeated with either a different filter or some other change,a better method would be to load the component once and then run it multiple times by overriding the filter. Running it 60 times will be very slow in any case.

How about zipping the component (a5wcmp), the page (a5w) and the related tables with sample data and posting the zip. Then someone can look at the code and offer better help and perhaps a different approach.

Jerry

Phil Rolf
12-05-2004, 06:59 AM
Jerry, I do not have the files on this computer. I will try and zip later.

Take a look at my other post "Is there an easy way to do this?" and you can see what I am trying to do. This thread and the other are the same project. The jpeg in this thread is the solution I came up with from comments that Pat had made.

thanks for responding....

Selwyn Rabins
12-05-2004, 08:11 AM
i looked at the picture of what you want to do, and it seems quite doable, although, using a grid component (or 60 grid components!!!) might not be the best approach, since your page is quite specialized.

the approach that I would take is to hand code the xbasic/html for the page. by hand coding it, you should be able to get very good performance. however, to hand code it, you will need to have some understanding of html and xbasic.

loading 60 components on a page is impractical. you will not be able to achieve satisfactory performance using this approach.