PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Start Server

ABC123

Walter
11-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Hi all,

If I want to start the server on my development pc, I get a error msg. "Cannot start server, port 80 already in use. Please check if another server program is using this port."

The only program i can think of that might cause the problem , is ms frontpage, also instaled on my pc.
But it is not open while I work on v6.

Any ideas please !
I am working on win xp pro. Where can I see what program is using port 80 ?

Have a nice day
Walter

Selwyn Rabins
11-23-2004, 08:09 AM
go to the controlpanel/administrative tools/services.

try selectively stopping services and to see which service using port 80.

or even easier - just go to the web control panel and set the server to use another port.

from the a5 conrol panel:
tools/web application server

the port will be shown as 80.
change it to (say) 8080

Walter
11-23-2004, 09:25 PM
Hello Selwyn,

Thanks for the help, easy when you know what to do!

Have a nice day
Walter

Rick Scali
12-16-2004, 07:39 AM
For what its worth, I just installed A5V6 and also got that message about port 80 in use - I am running XP Pro and the offending program was the IIS server - I just changed the start option from auto to manual - works fine now

Walter
12-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Hello Rick,

I did not manage to get the program that uses port 80 in the first place. I am curious as to what program uses what recourses on my pc.

Do you have MS Frontpage or something similar on ur pc?

Walter

Wanda Tucker
01-01-2005, 01:51 PM
I'm having the same problem, today - but not yesterday. A teenager got his hands on my computer. Since then it has crashed twice. I've managed to delete the programs he downloaded, but apparently he set something up to use Port 80.

I want to check the ports the way Selwyn is advising, here. However, I don't find where the port is indicated when I go to the control panel/administrative tools/services.

Will I find the port each file is using in its path?

Thank you,
Wanda
ToWanda Designs!
www.towandadesigns.net

AaronBBrown
01-03-2005, 05:17 AM
Are you sure you aren't running Microsoft Personal Web Server (PWS) or some version of Internet Information Server (IIS)?