PDA

View Full Version : Why The Difference

ABC123

Phil Rolf
11-21-2004, 06:41 PM
I am transferring this message from the V6 forum.

I am attempting to display SHIP TO and INVOICE TO data as Web Components using a filter to display one record. If I make the Grid READ ONLY then only one record is displayed. If I make the Grid UPDATEABLE then I get multiple unfilled records. The setup of the grids are identical with the exception of Read Only vs Updateable. Am I doing something wrong? I have attached a JPG of the difference. The Read Only is the right column and the Updateable is the Left Column.

Thanks

Phil Rolf
11-21-2004, 06:47 PM
I forgot to attach the file so I have attached here and this is a response from Lenny

By default, an updateable grid allows for entering new records, which is why there are the extra blank rows. Simply uncheck the box for the allow new records setting.

Phil Rolf
11-21-2004, 06:50 PM
My response to Lennys message

The only option I could find to eliminate the extra blank rows was ALLOW INSERT, I could not find any other. I plan on having people add records, how can I prevent the extra fields without turning off the capability of adding fields?

In addition, I have included a JPG of an a5w file that has a couple of possible problems.
1. On the Read Only grids the text above the grids are positioned the same. However, on the grid that is updateable (SUBMIT) there is extra line between the title and grid. I checked the parameters and there is only one line of info.
2. The 3 grids are part of a table 1 Row/3 Columns. How can I get the grids to line up with each other to be more symetrical? I would like the top of the grids to be aligned.

thanks

Phil Rolf
11-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Response from Selwyn

"the only option I could find to eliminate the extra blank rows was ALLOW INSERT, I could not find any other. I plan on having people add records, how can I prevent the extra fields without turning off the capability of adding fields? "

how will people be able to add new records if you have turned off 'allow insert'? -- they can't.

if you turn on 'allow insert' then the grid will show (by default) 3 empty records for users to add new records. you can change the number of empty records that are shown.

it is now clear how you screenshot was generated. is it one grid or multiple grids?

Phil Rolf
11-21-2004, 06:59 PM
My reply to Selwyns response

I will look for the option to decrease the number of empty records to be displayed.

"it is now clear how you screenshot was generated. is it one grid or multiple grids?"
The screen shot was made up of three different components and placed into a table of one row and three columns.

A side note, prior to placing messages on the board I attempted to go to HELP within V6 and the computer locks up on every option. I am using the latest build. Did I miss something when I loaded the software?

Thanks

Edward Larrabee
11-22-2004, 05:36 AM
What is your Grid setting for Update Settings > Number of new record rows? The default value is 3 rows.

Lenny Forziati
11-22-2004, 08:28 PM
This screen capture looks like you have a one row, 3 colukmn table with a component in each row. By default, HTML will center the column contents vertically in the table. You should go into the properties for each cell and adjust the alignment as desired.

-Lenny

Phil Rolf
11-23-2004, 02:45 AM
Lenny, thanks a bunch. I had tried to find cell properties and was unable but I found them now. I have included a file of the layout.

If you look at my previous JPG you will notice that the box titles were different. V6 generated the code for the three titles. I went into the code and here is what I found:

"p"Ship To Information"/p"

Invoice To Information 

Miscellaneous Info: 

Why would the code for the Ship To be different from the other two components? I made a change to the code and got things to work.

Once again, thanks....