PDA

View Full Version : Cascading Lookup with ODBC

ABC123

Sarah Mengesha
11-17-2004, 09:55 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am writing a web app that includes a section with a dialog box with 2 search fields. This is a cascading lookup that will return the second value once the first is entered. The values are dynamic and retrieved from an ODBC connection. I followed the example in the web app demo for dialog with cascading lookup, but I got the following error when trying to save:

"Extra characters at end of expression."

I assume it means the filter expression for the second search field, but I can't see what is wrong with my SQL string. Here it is:

SELECT DISTINCT USER_ID FROM USER_TABLE WHERE USER_TYPE = ? ORDER BY USER_ID

The user type has already been stored in the previous variable. Is this only a problem with odbc lookups?

Thanks in advance,

Sarah Mengesha

Selwyn Rabins
11-17-2004, 10:47 AM
what type of database are you accessing?

Sarah Mengesha
11-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Sewlyn,

I am accessing an Oracle database. Please let me know if you need any more info.

Sarah

Selwyn Rabins
11-17-2004, 06:04 PM
i don't have an oracle database at home, but when i get to the office tomorrow, i will try to recreate a cascading lookup.

Sarah Mengesha
11-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Hi Selwyn,

Any luck connecting to the oracle db through the dialog window and creating a variable based on an sql filter? I think these extra characters may be double quotes that Alpha is inserting into the sql statement, when it expects single quotes. Can you think of any way to get around this?

Thanks,

Sarah

Selwyn Rabins
11-19-2004, 03:24 PM
I am still trying. I can't believe how difficult it is to connect to an Oracle server. We have a test Oracle server running at Alpha, and I have tried to install the Oracle client software on my machine, but I still can't connect to the Oracle server.

do you have an Oracle server that is outside your firewall?

Selwyn Rabins
11-23-2004, 08:11 AM
figured out the problem.

it is a bug in a5v6. it will be corrected in the next patch.
you can get a pre-release of the next patch at

http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a5v6download/system_aex.zip

exit a5 and unzip into your a5v6 program folder.

Sarah Mengesha
11-23-2004, 08:20 AM
Selwyn,

Thanks a lot for looking into this, I appreciate it.

Sarah Mengesha