PDA

View Full Version : Directory hash

ABC123

Pat Bremkamp
10-22-2004, 12:28 PM
I've made a hash of my directories, and now I've got a mess. Up 'til now, I've gotten away with it, but with the new publish optimization, I need to figure out what's going on. I'm hoping someone will be able to patiently explain this to me.

I have web pages and components scattered in several different directories and now I'm publishing old versions over the top of new versions. I've stopped everything 'til I can get this straight.

I've read the help descriptions several times, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out, so I want to ask bite sized questions.

1. I set a private path of C:\A5temp and checked the setting to delete .mpx files, but they don't get deleted. Should I just accept the windows temp folder option instead?

2. I am very confused about projects, profiles and folders. I've created several profiles and that seems to result in several different directories being created on my hard drive. But, what determines where the pages will be published?

3. I'd like to clean up my mess by starting fresh, but I'm not sure of the proper sequence. I've been searching around and think I've found the most recent versions of my pages, but what's the proper sequence... project, then profile, then folder? or profile, then project, then folder? Or, folder, then profile, then project? I only need one of each, so it should be simple...

Thanks,
Pat

JerryBrightbill
10-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Pat

You want to review the help files on web publishing. The key to remember is that when the pages are published using a profile, the actual pages, stylesheets, related images, etc must be in some folder under the webroot folder. The server can only access pages from the webroot or subfolders. You can have stylesheets, images, etc in folders under the folder that holds all of the pages and components, but all folders must be under the webroot.

However, the data tables can be anywhere. In fact, it is best that they are not under the webroot for security. The key here is understanding where they will be on the server. Just like in a regular database, all tables hould be in the same folder, although that is not a requirement, it just makes maintenance much easier. All paths eventually become hard coded on publish, so you need to know the final path. Components and the publish feature allow specifying aliases during design to replace the eventual path with a temporary alias. When you publish, the profile specifies the actual path of the alias.

In a final application, you don't even need a database. The scheduler demo I have posted does not have any database at all, just tables. All of the tables are in one folder on the server, and all of the pages and related files are under a folder on the webroot on the server. In effect, the WAS pages replace the database (adb) structure and provide the connections that relate all of the tables.

Jerry

Edward Larrabee
10-25-2004, 06:26 AM
Perhaps this topic will help: Web Publishing.

Pat Bremkamp
10-25-2004, 08:09 AM
Ed,

That was very helpful. I wish I had read that months ago.

Now, I will can a new directory structure and copy all my errant compnents and pages into it, delete the old copies and get on with my project.

Pat