PDA

View Full Version : 3 new sample web app pages

ABC123

Lenny Forziati
10-15-2004, 03:58 PM
We have added 3 new sample pages to our samples at http://was.alphasoftware.com/web_applications_demo/default/

1.15 demonstrates adding checkboxes to select multiple rows from a grid. A mailing label is then generated for each selected customer. It also demonstrates opening a new window to a specific size and turning off toolbars to display the labels in.

1.16 demonstrates using a radio button in your grid as a row selector. Multiple actions can then be performed on the selected record based on which button the user clicks. Also has the new window functionality of 1.15.

1.17 demonstrates creating a bar chart in a grid from a calculated field.

-Lenny

René Stout
10-17-2004, 03:55 AM
Sorry Lenny,

I get this error message on all demos.

Greetings, René

500 Internal Server Error
Script Error
Error:Script: /web_applications_demo/default/login.a5w line:60
names = table.external_record_content_get("c:\program files\a5v6\samples\webapps
maximum open tables exceeded

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alpha Five Web Application Server/6.0 Build/1539 at WEBAPPSERVER2 Port 80

JerryBrightbill
10-17-2004, 05:12 AM
Rene

The error did not come from the demo pages, but from an error in a different application, the demo Web Scheduler. Lenny has been notified and corrections sent.

Jerry

René Stout
10-17-2004, 05:25 AM
ok

René Stout
10-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Lenny,

looks terrific!
I would like to see how you built the pages, but all I can find is notes that don't help me enough because I don't have the skills to invent things my self. For the moment I rely on Monkee-see-monkee-do. Will they show up in the WAS demo database one day?

Greetings,
René

Lenny Forziati
10-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Yes, they will be added to the Web Applications demo. If you're interested in duplicating the bar chart, I created a sample database for Howard Cornett which you can find here.

If you'd like to know how to do the checkboxes or rasdio buttons, I can provide addiitonal instructions.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
10-21-2004, 12:20 PM
You can download an updated sample app that includes these new pages and components from http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/A5V6Download/WebAppServerDemo.zip

-Lenny

René Stout
10-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Great!

Thanks!

René

René Stout
10-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Hi Lenny,

I am especially interested in the checkboxes, exactly for the purpose of printing letters and labels. I read a little bit in the a5w-code already. Quite complicated but I think I understand globally how it works.

If you have additional info: always welcome!

Greetings, René

P.S. I go to bed soon, and this weekend I don't have much time, so don't feel obliged to hurry, please!

Lenny Forziati
10-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Here's a description I wrote up for the radio button example previously. The checkbox technique is essentially the same. The only difference is that the variable used for the checkboxes is an array so that multiple records can be selected.

What I have done is created a freeform layout for the customer_id column to create a radio button. The layout is

I then created an A5W page with this grid component on it. I went to the table cell that had the grid detail part, inserted a form, then dragged the detail part into the form so that the radio buttons will be contained within it.

Create as many submit buttons as you wish. They should all have the same name, but the values will vary based on what you would like displayed on each.

Set the form's action to something like ActionFromRadio.a5w

Then when one of the buttons is clicked, ActionFromRadio will be executed. It will have a variable named the same as the buttons and you can conditionalize your action on this value. You will also have the cust_id available to you for a query, etc.

-Lenny

René Stout
10-21-2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks!

I should be able to create some nice handy things now. I'll let you know.

Good night!

René

Richard Rabins
11-07-2004, 06:22 PM
As you start building your Web Apps we would consider adding them to the Sample Web pages (you can use dummy date to protect confidential info that is not meant for the public)

If you are interested - please contact marketing@alphasoftware.com

We will of course include your contact information which should result in leads back to you and you being "positioned"
as proficient in V6's Web App Capabilities.
Thanks
Richard Rabins

seidel1
11-12-2004, 09:53 AM
Lenny -

This is Awesome! Are you also looking at creating line charts?

Jim

Lenny Forziati
11-12-2004, 11:22 AM
A line chart would be considerably more complex.

The bar chart takes advantage of the fact that each bar is essentially a separate rectangle. Given this, you can use a simple image of a square and scale it as needed.

For a line graph, you would need to know coordinates for the data points, then dynamically create lines to connect the points. ui_bitmap_draw() gives you the core functionality for this. Once you used ui_bitmap_draw to create a graph, you would save the image under the webroot and include it in your page.

-Lenny