PDA

View Full Version : Tab forms

ABC123

David Henderson
10-01-2004, 05:59 AM
The example info indicates a tab form layout as being available throught the WAS however I cannot seem to find it??

Thanks

Keith Hubert
10-01-2004, 10:23 AM
Hi David,

Could you please show me where the info is of a Tabbed component. I too would like to use it.

Regards

Keith Hubert

Guild Member
London.

Lenny Forziati
10-01-2004, 10:42 AM
There is no tabbed component available. This will be added in a future release.

-Lenny

David Henderson
10-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks for that

Any idea on the timing of that future release - when I saw that part of the material it was one of the main reasons I purchased WAS and I don't intend to convert anything to it until I can use that section.

Thanks

David

Pat Bremkamp
10-01-2004, 10:57 PM
David,

Tabbed forms may be a problem depending on the implementation.

I just created a grid linker form with one parent table and 8 child tables. It opens, but it takes several minutes. I press submit and go take a coffee break.

Actually, I'm pleased that it works at all! There are some complex filters that involve comparing multiple lookups. I expected Alpha to give up, but it sogged through and eventually opened.

On the desktop, this same setup with tabbed forms is very quick. On the web, the time it takes makes it unuseable for practical purposes. I'm worried that tabbed forms will have the same problem if it attempts to build all those tabs at once.

So, for my app, I've decided to put two child tables each on 4 new windows and let the user link to the ones he/she wants. In total, it may still take several minutes, but each smaller piece won't seem so long. With 5 different windows open, the user can still see all the data.

Pat

JerryBrightbill
10-02-2004, 04:32 AM
Pat

You illustrate on of the fundamental differences between web based and local desktop application. The speed of the local application is essentially limited by the processor speed, and the video speed. Very complex forms can display quickly. Any web based page has to contend with the bandwidth and speed of connection. When traveling, I am sometimes forced to used dial up connections. Some complex commercial web pages load so slowly that they are unsable. Even on a local network, the loading speed can be an issue.

I have never quite understood why some designers want to put everything on complex pages even on a desktop app. If nothing else, the result is frequently very busy and difficult to follow. The same complexity on a web based app may slow the page to an absolute crawl. It is much better, and more useful to use multiple pages. If nothing else, they will load much faster. You can build complexity, but will the end user accept the result.

Jerry