PDA

View Full Version : Date fields European style Question

ABC123

René Stout
09-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Hello,

I still am confused what to do with date fields in Search.
In my tables I use the European date format (dd-mm-yy). Windows is installed that way, too.

When using the Date Picker, and define dd-mm-yy, I get no results.

When using the Drop Down box, there's no way to tell A5 that it should look for dd-mm-yy format. No date will be found.

When using Textbox and no display format, A5 finds nothing. If I use Display Format = time("dd-MM-yy","value"), it finds nothing either. Should I fill Display Unformat? If yes, what do I enter there? I've seen an example somewhere, but I cannot find it again.

If I search in a date field, can I also find a specific month or year? How?

Greetings, René

JerryBrightbill
09-25-2004, 04:19 AM
Rene

Working with date fields can be tricky because of the different format from US to European. The date picker returns a character value that must be converted to a date value, and this is where it is tricky. All dates have to end up in the same format, which in your case would be dd- mm-yy.

One way to handle this is to take the character string, parse it to separate elememts for day - month - year and then use the date functions to "build" a new date in your format. For example, you can use substr() to get a character value for day, month, and year. I may end up with

vday = "25"
vmonth = "9"
vyear = "2004"

Then I use the date functions to "build" the date. Since they will use your local format, this eliminates the formating issue.

newdate = addmonths(ctod("01/01/"+alltrim(vyear)+""),val(vmonth)) + val(vday) - 1

This will work regardless of the local date format since you start at Jan 1, which is formated the same for each convention.

Once you have a valid date, you can use cyear() , month() or many of the other date functions to create a value for searching.

Jerry

René Stout
09-25-2004, 08:19 AM
Hi Jerry,

thanks for your answer. I'm sure this does the job, but I have the feeling that the makers of Alpha Five, if they like their products to be used in Europe, will find a more simple way for dummies like me. Neverhteless I'll give it a try...

Greetings, René

Keith Hubert
09-26-2004, 02:26 AM
Rene,

The date picker format is in the latest build. Please see attachment of how to change the result to European format. I have used the Flowers sample to test.

Good Luck

Regards

Keith Hubert

Guild Member
London.

René Stout
09-26-2004, 03:44 AM
Keith,

Thanks for your contribution. I was already aware of that. The problem seems to be that somewhere the formats mix up.

Attached you'll find an example. If you open Examens.a5w you will see (I hope).

Whatever I fill in in the search field or how I do it, I get no result. Try 12-06-04 (june, 12)

Keith Hubert
09-26-2004, 05:08 AM
Rene,

This is interesting, I have downloaded and opend the app. I have selected the Web Prokects but am unable to see your WAS files. I know they are there but I do not know how to change to the folder to see them in WAS. Can anyone help?

Regards

Keith Hubert

Guild Member
London.

Keith Hubert
09-26-2004, 08:33 AM
Rene,

I think there must be a file missing from your zip. Your web component had a link to a table that was not there.

I did a test on one of your tables with an editable grid and a Date Picker.

As you will see from the attached it works with no other alteration other than changing the format to dd/mm/yy in the Date Picker Properties.

Sorry I cant help more.

Regards

Keith Hubert

Guild Member
London.

René Stout
09-26-2004, 08:59 AM
Sorry, Keith,

The problem is not the date picker in data grids, that works fine.
The problem lies within the Search grid.

I cannot search for a date, whatever way.

René

Keith Hubert
09-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi René,

Having greated a new grid with your data I now understand your problem.

Unfortunately I get the same result.

I have checked with the Alpha sample data and my own data and it works correctly.

Maybe someone else can take a look and see what is going wrong, I would like to know too.

Regards

Keith Hubert

Guild Member
London.