PDA

View Full Version : WAS pages are fragmented...

ABC123

awj
09-19-2004, 11:39 AM
I have to hit F5 to refresh, doesn't always work, then I have to go back and double-click a link for an A5W page to come up; or I have to right-click an image and select "Show Image" for it to come up?

Are there some settings I'm missing here?? Please help somebody - surely someone else is getting the same "poor responsiveness" of the WAS.

A.W. Janert

Peter.Wayne
09-19-2004, 11:53 AM
I haven't seen anything like that. Are your images very large? What are you using as the server? Are you accessing WAS over a phone line or high-speed connection? What if you don't have images? Do you have a similar problem with the sample web pages?
- Peter

Selwyn Rabins
09-19-2004, 12:07 PM
can you send me your app so we can run it on our servers.

awj
09-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Hi there;

It's quite simply the Web Demo Application that comes with A5V6. The images in question are those small navigation buttons for instance, or the photo demo flowers. My PC I'm using as the Server is a P4 2.8 GHz with plenty of HD space and 1 GB of RAM (Dual Channel) - I use this for video editing / and music production.

I also have a High Speed Connection. I've only been working with the sample pages for now - but yes, this problem is persistent whether I access the Server locally or from a remote location.

It could be some settings maybe?

thx

Andrew

awj
09-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Hi Selwyn;

I haven't got my own app ready yet, but the Web Application Demo that ships with A5V6 is doing this. Not sure why. My PC is a late model powerhouse.

I most often have to double-click real quick on a link for the page to come up. A single-click mostly won't do it.

Quite a mystery,...

For your info, my PC is a P4, 2.8 GHz machine with 1GB of Dual Channel RAM, 240 GB hard drive - plenty of power. I'm running Windows XP Professional on it.

any help is greatly appreciated!

Andrew

awj
09-19-2004, 12:44 PM
Hi Selwyn;

I just got an idea - it's Sunday right now 1:40 p.m. Calgary time, I'm going to leave the Server Up, and you can access my Web Application Demo at the following URL:

http://awjsoftware.sytes.net/Web_Applications_Demo/default/mainMenu.a5w

May be see if you're getting the same problem or not. I'll leave my server up probably at least till 6:00 p.m. Calgary time.

many thx,

Andrew

Peter.Wayne
09-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Andy,
Do you have problems with other web sites? I logged into your server and pages without images display within 2 seconds and pages with many images (the flower catalog, for example) take 4-6 seconds, which isn't bad considering the fact that you're halfway around the world. i certainly don't have to press {F5} or right-click or anything to get the pages to finish loading.
- Peter

JerryBrightbill
09-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Andrew

No problem here opening your pages. I opened the grid with detail with thumbnails and it opens at about the same speed as any web page with images. The full size image opens ok. The other pages show all of the navigation images too.

If you have a firewall, you may want to try turning it off and seeing if that has any effect.

Jerry

awj
09-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Thanks! I'm going to try this from the office tomorrow. It could very well be the firewall itself.

awj

awj
09-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Do you suppose it's my hardware firewall? I'm basically trying to access the pages within my own network at this point. Maybe it performs better from the outside.

I'm going to try it from the office tomorrow.

many thx,

awj

Selwyn Rabins
09-19-2004, 07:16 PM
i just tried your url and all of the pages that i tried displayed fine.

i checked most of the pages in the sample app, and you will notice that i edited your record in the customer table.

it all worked perfectly.

what is the speed of your server? how fast is your internet connection?

awj
09-19-2004, 08:03 PM
Well everybody,

I found the problem; "Popup Blocker" application running in the background caused the grief.

I now have it running better now that I turned those blockers off.

Thanks for your help, I'm still going to try it offsite. It appears everyone is accessing the pages fine. With that out of the way, I'll finally get my apps live!!!

thanks all,

AWJ

Al Buchholz
09-20-2004, 07:46 AM
Andrew

Thanks for the update.