PDA

View Full Version : hidden "leftover" table in A5W page

ABC123

Steve Wood
09-14-2004, 11:05 AM
I wanted to see if anyone's noted this same problem before I report it as a bug. On top of the published copy of every one of my A5W pages, that has a grid component, I have "leftover" table definition such as in (1) below. I included the original A5W code in (2) below. The effect is that there are three or four lines of dead space between the grid and the top of the page.

(1) portion of A5W page as published

"tr"
"td"
"p""/p""/td""/tr"
"tr"
"td""/td""/tr"
"tr"
"td""/td""/tr"

(2) portion of original code from .A5W Page

"table"
"tbody"
"tr"
"td"
"p""%a5 ?x_customer.Output.Body.Grid_Echo %""/p""/td""/tr"
"tr"
"td""%a5 ?x_customer.Output.Body.UpdateErrors %""/td""/tr"
"tr"
"td""%a5 ?x_customer.Output.Body.Search_HTML %""/td""/tr"
"tr"
"td""%a5 ?x_customer.Output.Body.Grid_HTML %""/td""/tr"
"tr"
"td""%a5 ?x_customer.Output.Body.DetailView_HTML %""/td""/tr""/tbody""/table"

Lenny Forziati
09-14-2004, 11:21 AM
It's not a bug Steve. You'll notice that before running the page, the table rows that become empty contain something like

"%a5 ?x_customer.Output.Body.Grid_Echo %"

Since your component does not have anyting to echo in this case, the table row becomes empty.

You could move the echo (and other typically blank component parts) elsewhere, they do not have to each have their own table row - this is just the default layout.

-Lenny

Steve Wood
09-14-2004, 12:05 PM
OK, I see that now. Since I don't find any "echo" that I can control in the grid properties, it must be system driven and echo if needed (like the red error messages that appear if field values are missing on update, etc.).

Future enhancement request would be to inhibit those table cell definitions if there is nothing to echo. Those three lines are valuable especially at the top of the page. You can't imagine how users complain about having to use the mouse to scroll down one inch.

Selwyn Rabins
09-16-2004, 04:18 PM
echo can currently only be used in a dialog component.

in the event handler scripts (validate, after validate, initialize etc) you can set the 'echotext' variable.

this is useful for debugging scripts. its a little like writing to a 'trace window' in the page.