PDA

View Full Version : Small web apps for sale for learning tool ????

ABC123

crimmelcp
09-11-2004, 09:09 AM
To All:
I know that we can purchase the templates like contact,time and attendance and others for v5 and v6.
reasonably priced at 29-59 dollars.
And I have most of them.

Has anyone taken a small app such as the contact manager and developed the web portion using v6 and would be willing to sell it for learning purposes.

I am looking for some learning tools for the web portion.The demos are good, but I need to understand about moving variables between forms and using these variables to filter. I finally got to the point where I can navigate from web form to page 2 or 3 and back. Still having a lot of trouble with variables and filters. Maybe I could understand better if I could see how someone else got it to work.

I asked Richard and there are interested in doing this but do not have anything yet.

Charlie Crimmel

JerryBrightbill
09-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Charlie

Try this thread. I posted an example using AlphaSports that shows how to use variables in a filter

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=16&id=354&thread=331

The biggest issue is that the html standards impose some limitaions on passing values. You can use session variables or you can pass values in the url. Each has their advantages. Passing the values like in the link above is sometimes easier, but leaves the values exposed to the user. In the link, the section

?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=16&id=354&thread=331

passes the 4 variable values to the next page. I use a mixture. If the value absolutely must be invisible, like a password, I use session variables. If they can be exposed or must be sent as part of a link, then I add them as above.

Jerry

crimmelcp
09-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks jerry, but I have not add the grids yet.
I am doing an Employee Time Application.
I have a login page,Administration page,Employee Page and a Show time page.
I have a drop down box to select the user name and a text box to key in a password.
It then reads the user table and verifies the password and puts the security level and employee name into session variables.
It validates that the password keyed in = the password in the user file and then goes to the correct page.(Admin or Employee).
What I am trying to do is to show the Employee name stored the name variable on the screen.(example Welcom jerry)

Charlie Crimmel

Cheryl Lemire
09-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Hi Charlie,

The code you need to show the name that you have in the variable would be:

%A5 ? alltrim(w_upper(session.fn)) %

substitue the above session.fn with your variable name

Good luck
Cheryl

crimmelcp
09-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Does this go in the HTML section (tab) or the Xbasic tab.
When I type it in , save page and publish
then go to browser it does not show.
Charlie Crimmel

crimmelcp
09-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Cheryl:
I pu in the following code and get nothing to show.

"p""font size=3" Employee    %A5 ?
alltrim(w_upper(session.showname)) % "br"
"/font""/p"

Charlie Crimmel

Cheryl Lemire
09-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Charlie

You need the brackets before and after the code I gave you

"%A5 ? alltrim(w_upper(session.fn)) %"

Cheryl

oldtony
11-26-2005, 08:57 PM
hi experts
can the thread that Jerry Brightbill refers to (below) be seen on the new list?
thanks
old tony

Charlie

Try this thread. I posted an example using AlphaSports that shows how to use variables in a filter

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=16&id=354&thread=331

The biggest issue is that the html standards impose some limitaions on passing values. You can use session variables or you can pass values in the url. Each has their advantages. Passing the values like in the link above is sometimes easier, but leaves the values exposed to the user. In the link, the section

?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=16&id=354&thread=331

passes the 4 variable values to the next page. I use a mixture. If the value absolutely must be invisible, like a password, I use session variables. If they can be exposed or must be sent as part of a link, then I add them as above.

Jerry