PDA

View Full Version : Events on HTML Elements

ABC123

Mario Prieto
09-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Is there a way to put events in HTML elements??
Do tables, text boxes, etc have events??
Or the only solution is to use the Components Builder??
I noticed they do have events.

Is there a way that we can create our own components from scratch.??

if yes, where is doc, how??

The Mexican

Cheryl Lemire
09-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Hi Mario,

It does not make sense to try and code everything manually, but if you are fluent with xbasic you can do anything you would like to do. My suggestion would be to use the grid component and then modify the code there or take code from the grid portions that you want and use it for your own pages. I believe the only documentation will be on the component itself, anything you are going to build on your own would simply be xbasic reference.

Good luck
Cheryl

Mario Prieto
09-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Gracias Cheryl, I am starting to learn HTML and I was wondering about components.
I need to learn about events.

The Mexican.

Cheryl Lemire
09-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Hi Mario,

Is this what you are looking for?

"a href="http://support.alphasoftware.com/alphafivehelp/Web_Publishing/Writing_Server_Event_Scripts.htm""Writing Server Event Scripts"/a"

You should be able to use any event within Alpha Five on your web pages, you only need to read up on that event and place xbasic on an object in your page.

Cheryl

Peter.Wayne
09-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Mario,
You want to keep server-side event scripts to a minimum. Each server-side event requires a round trip from the browser through the internet to the server and back. The components provide basic checking for formatting, such as allowing whitespace or special characters, that can be done by the browser itself using Javascript. Events that actually are handled by the server should probably be limited to after all the data has been entered, rather than line-by-line event checking.

- Peter

Lenny Forziati
09-10-2004, 09:05 PM
An important thing to keep in mind is that users can (and do) turn off Javascript support in their browsers. If you implement any client-side Javascript validation, you should not depend 100% on it working - you're server-side code should perform the same validation as well.

-Lenny