PDA

View Full Version : Navagation menu

ABC123

Pat Bremkamp
08-31-2004, 11:36 AM
Now that Version 6 is out, I'm sure all you guys (and girls)at Alpha are wondering what to do with your free time. So, here's an idea that would save me a ton of time.

You've made creating web pages a snap, so now the challenge is navigation, so...

Create a grid component that is a horizontal link bar where each of the entries has a drop down list, and each item on that list is a link to another page. The format for building the link bar would be similar to the desktop menu builder genie, and the bar would look like a menu. I could then create this component and plunk it at the top of each page.

For the properties for each link item, you could include:

Enable condition - this would be a condition that must be satisfied before the link would be allowed. It would be a "poor man's" security (each page would still need its own security) but it could control normal access. For example a user might be assigned a level of "owner", "user", "viewer" and only those with a session variable = "owner" could access certain pages through this link. (You could use pretty colors for enabled and not enabled)

Filter expression - There has been a lot of discussion about filters for pages. Perhaps the link could carry filter information with it.

Before Xbasic - Xbasic that would run before the link is made (actually this might take care of the filter information??)

After Xbasic - Xbasic that would run after the link is made, but before the page is displayed, for example to specify variable information that will be shown on the page.

Window type - a new window or reuse the existing window.

Leave condition - Close the existing window or leave it open (for new windows)

I built the component show in the attachment to do some of this, but it is very clunky and doesnt have the cascading feature.

Thanks,
Pat

Selwyn Rabins
08-31-2004, 12:50 PM
funny that you should mention this.

we are working on a 'menu' component that will create cascading menus for the next version.

Cheryl Lemire
08-31-2004, 02:45 PM
Hi Pat,

If you feel like digging deep into your HTML you can try your hands at javascript:

Drop down menu link- © Dynamic Drive (www.dynamicdrive.com)

I am just now re-doing my website using this menu system. I only have the index page setup at this time under a test directory. You are welcome to visit it:

"a href="http://pagecrazy.com/newsite/""Pagecrazy"/a"

Cheryl

Cheryl Lemire
08-31-2004, 02:45 PM
Hi Pat,

If you feel like digging deep into your HTML you can try your hands at javascript:

Drop down menu link- © Dynamic Drive (www.dynamicdrive.com)

I am just now re-doing my website using this menu system. I only have the index page setup at this time under a test directory. You are welcome to visit it:

Pagecrazy

Cheryl

JerryBrightbill
08-31-2004, 04:49 PM
Cherl

There are a number of nice dynamic menu systems that don't even require javascript, just an imaginative use of style sheets. Off hand, I can't find the website links, but I have a book titled "Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 Hands on Training" that includes some good examples. While it is becoming increasingly rare, some users still don't have javascript support or have it turned off.

Javascript based menus are very common and Dreamweaver includes menu code. Just drag and drop a menu on a page and change the links, etc to what you want.

Jerry

Pat Bremkamp
08-31-2004, 04:51 PM
Cheryl,

Your site is very elegant! Unfortunately, I am an intermediate at Xbasic, a beginner at Xdialog and only a Newbee at html.

But, I got a copy of Dreamweaver and I'm going to try to figure out how to put a Alpha web page inside a frame. If I can do that, then I think I can get Dreamweaver to do the heavy lifting???

thanks for the reply.
Pat

Pat Bremkamp
08-31-2004, 04:53 PM
Jerry,

You have Dreamweaver...Have you been able to put an A5 web page inside one of their frames? I found one of their templates that has a side frame that I'm considering for a navagation bar.

Pat

JerryBrightbill
08-31-2004, 07:09 PM
Pat

I do not use frames. In most of the sites where they are used, I have seen too many issues. While there are cases where they seem to work ok and may make sense, I prefer to stick to simple table layouts.

Dreamweaver has been a great tool for helping develop WAS pages. Not only does it create nice clean html code, it offers a nice way to check a page. After I run an A5 page, I view the souce code in the browser and save it as a HTML file. Then I can open it in Dreamweaver and see where the code needs cleaned up. I can also develop non A5 pages and then paste the html into the WAS html editor and add any A5 code to make it work. Using both the editor in A5 and Dreamweaver has been a good way to create complex pages.

Jerry

JerryBrightbill
08-31-2004, 07:14 PM
Cheryl

I hope the rates on you page are just for testing. $75 per page? Lets see, that works out to about --- per hour. I am sure your work is worth more than minimum wage.

Jerry

Pat Bremkamp
09-01-2004, 07:45 AM
Thanks, Jerry. I'll give it a try.

Pat

Pat Bremkamp
09-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Well, I'm feeling kind of smug because I was able to create a navagaion bar using the standard A5 components. The screen shot shows the bar at the top of the expenses page.

It doesn't cascade, but at this point, it's progress and it works...it opens each of the support file tables in their own windows. All I have to do is plunk this onto each of my pages, and I'm in business!

Pat

JerryBrightbill
09-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Pat

The big thing is that it works. Most menus are just a series of hyperlinks, so the only issue how to style them.

Jerry

Sarah Mengesha
11-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Hi Pat,

I just saw your post and the screen shot of the your nifty hand-made navigation tool. I have spent all day trying to figure out how to make a navigation tool like this one in Alpha6. Would you be so kind as to explain how you made this? I know you said you used the dialog component, but I can't figure out how to make it horizontal.

Thanks!!!
Sarah Mengesha

Pat Bremkamp
11-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Sarah,

To answer your question directly, you can make it horizontal by using a freeform layout.

Having said that, I have switched to a more "webby" approach now. Check the attached picture.

This is done by inserting a table, then inserting a hyperlink in each cell. These are nice because you can easily adjust the border and background colors. Also, centering the hypertext makes formatting easy.

Have fun,
Pat

Sarah Mengesha
11-17-2004, 05:36 AM
Pat,

Thats so funny, when I couldn't figure out how to make the navigation tool using the web component, I created a table with links in each cell! Great minds....:)

Thanks for the help, and inspiration!

Sarah