PDA

View Full Version : How to publish to another PC in the LAN?

ABC123

René Stout
08-23-2004, 09:45 PM
Hi,

I create my Web Components on machine DEVELOP.
In my LAN I have a machine called NVST, which has the IP 10.0.0.4.
The webroot is C:\Webserver on ALPHAWEB.
The pages are stores in C:\Webserver\Webpages.
How do I tell AlphaFive all this?

What I cannot find in the Profile setup is a way to tell A5 where my webserver is located.

Any ideas?

Greetings, René

René Stout
08-23-2004, 09:46 PM
I did add an attachment...

next try...

Selwyn Rabins
08-25-2004, 03:44 PM
it looks like you are trying to publish to a machine that is not on your local area network? is that correct?

if so, then this cannot be done. you can only publish to a folder on a machine that is on your network. you can't include an IP address in the folder name.

it sounds like what you want is the ability to publish using FTP. this feature is not currently supported. we plan to add it at some point.

you could simulate a publish using ftp in the mean time by publishing to a temporary local folder, and then using any ftp program (including the ftp features that are built into a5v6) to ftp the files from your temp local folder to your remote machine.

Selwyn Rabins
08-25-2004, 03:46 PM
\\10.0.0.4\c:\webserver

is not a valid folder name for a folder on your network.

something like this would be valid

\\yourmachinename\foldername

René Stout
08-26-2004, 08:47 AM
Selwyn,

if I select:
- Machine name= \\NVST\C:\Webserver
- Target folder = Webpages (which is a subfolder of Webserver)

I get error code 1498.
The machine NVST is in my local area network.

greetings, René

Lenny Forziati
08-26-2004, 08:50 AM
\\NVST\C:\Webserver is not a valid remote folder as c: is not a valid share name. You need to create a shared folder on NVST and then use that name as the path.

For example, if you go to NVST and share the folder c:\Webserver with a share name of "webserver", you would then use the path \\NVST\webserver to connect to it from another PC on the network

AaronBBrown
08-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Please re-read Selwyn's reply

'\\NVST\C:\Webserver' is not a valid path. The way UNCs (Universal Naming Convention) paths work is \\MACHINE\SHARE

So, you would have to create a SHARE by the name of Webserver or something, then you could say

\\NVST\Webserver

or if you have your C: drive shared as CDRIVE (not a good idea, BTW), you could try

\\NVST\CDRIVE\Webserver

René Stout
08-26-2004, 09:54 AM
Thanks, Aaron,

I finally got the grip.

I kept having the 1498 error, and I could not rename or delete the original folder (in use error).

I created a new one and now everything works fine.

Greetings, René