PDA

View Full Version : Macs

ABC123

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
08-02-2004, 08:40 AM
Most of my office is running on Macs. With the new WAS, I know I can access an Alpha database through the internet with a browser. How about through an intranet over TCP/IP? Am I dreaming?

Bill Belanger

Daryl Grace
08-02-2004, 09:18 AM
Bill,
I would think so as long as you are using a browser to access the WAS.

Daryl

Selwyn Rabins
08-02-2004, 09:20 AM
no, you are not dreaming.

if you have your machine set up as the web server then any of the MACs in your office can access your a5 data from their browser.

assuming you have all of the machines on a network, and your machine name is "belanger", then a user on a MAC just points their browser to

http://belanger/address_of_your_home_page.a5w

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
08-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Thanks Selwyn,
I'm just wondering if there's a way I can force the connection to stay in house rather than going through the internet. Probably by specifying the internal IP address...Duh. It should be much faster, no?

Bill Belanger

Cheryl Lemire
08-02-2004, 10:04 AM
WAS does not have to be accessible via the Internet. You can block the port that WAS is using. Using Selwyn's example of the machine name that WAS is on, is an internal only access. The users on the network would not be going outside and then back in to access it, they are directly connecting to the server internally.

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
08-02-2004, 10:51 AM
But it still requires the server license right?

Bill Belanger

Cheryl Lemire
08-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Yes, if you want users within a network that are not directly on the server where WAS resides to be able to access it, the server needs to have a WAS license.

You do not need a WAS license to access the files on the machine that the WAS resides on, but you do need to license it if anybody, whether intranet or internet, need to have access to it.