PDA

View Full Version : licensing

ABC123

Joseph Claeys
08-01-2004, 06:57 PM
I've read the other licensing threads and I still have a very basic (read: stupid) question. So $699 covers one server... fine sounds reasonable. So can I run more than one A5 database on that server?

Thanks

~joe

Cheryl Lemire
08-02-2004, 06:07 AM
Hi Joe,

You can run/access/manipulate as many databases as you would like on the one server ... but you can only have 'one' IP address. Example: 127.0.0.1 is the IP for my server (fictitional, of course) I have a domain name pagecrazy.com pointing to that IP address. On my server I have a directory named db. In the db directory I have directories named db1, db2, db3 with the database files in the 3 different directories. All of my a5w pages for all 3 databases are in the a5webroot directory (or whatever you named your WAS directory).

In order to access the a5w pages via the Internet using WAS you would go to http://www.pagecrazy.com/pagename.a5w for whatever pages you want to access. Each 'client' would need to know what the 'pagename.a5w' filename is in order to access their information. You could setup a login page as your index page that would direct the individual to their specific main menu based on their login information.

All access would be via pagecrazy.com however. What you cannot do with the ONE licensed server is setup multiple domain names as the current WAS is not setup/designed as a virtual web server. If your client requires access via their own domain name, you would need a separate server and server license for that specific domain name with its own IP address.

I hope that helps to explain a little better.

Cheryl

Joseph Claeys
08-02-2004, 09:17 AM
Perfect... I don't think that being redirected is a problem (if anyone sees a downside then please let me know). My bank sends me to a secure server with a different domain name when I pay my bills online and then tosses me back after I finish. It used to be rather clunky but recently (last 6-9 months) they must have made some optimizations because now it is rather seamless.

Thanks for the reply,

~joe

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
08-02-2004, 09:19 AM
I don't see why you couldn't have one server, with one main menu, that would direct people to different forms based on different tables. That might not be a very "professional" way of doing it, say if you had a hunting goods menu and a jewelry menu, but I believe it would function just fine. It might get to be a lot of overhead in scripting and other common things, but if it were simple enough...

Haven't got my copy yet....

Bill Belanger

Cheryl Lemire
08-02-2004, 10:02 AM
That would all depend on your client's personal preferences. For those clients that want their own domain name, they are the ones that will purchase their own license and their own hardware/software for the server.

The sample I gave is more for the smaller apps. You also need to consider the speed of connection your server has for the Internet. You certainly could not accomplish this in a dialup connection. Unless of course your clients are mom and dad :)

Joseph Claeys
08-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Well I wouldn't host it from my home regardless of the connection. I haven't heard anything regarding hosting services that support A5 explicitly but I do know that one can always lease a rack and not have to hassle with the maintenance. Then just load the WAS onto the remote server and viola! Well that's my hope at least... It would be useful to know how much traffic one WAS server can manage. Although I'm not savvy enough to now what metric would be the most useful.

~joe

Cheryl Lemire
08-02-2004, 01:29 PM
I agree as far as hosting elsewhere, there are many web hosting companies that offer colo's and the like. I also recall seeing a message thread somewhere (no idea which of the million boards it was on though haha) where I think it was Lenny that mentioned Alpha is communicating with various hosting companies to see if they are able to work out any deals for virtual hosting.