PDA

View Full Version : Speed

ABC123

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
07-30-2004, 05:00 AM
I would like a suggestion from those who are actively using or at least familiar with WAS deployment. I have a DSL line with download (for me) of 1500k but an upload (for the client) of only 384k. If I would like to host an application for my few clients (8), is that an acceptable speed or do I need to spend the extra to get a faster upload speed? They would be accessing a file with about 20k records and would like to view pictures associated with the records.

Thanks in advance

Bill Belanger

Cheryl Lemire
07-30-2004, 08:06 AM
Hi Bill,

What one considers an 'acceptable speed' is very difficult to answer. It is kind of like, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Obviously offering the best speed possible is always the more acceptable solution, it is not always the most cost effective for your particular application.

Something else to keep in mind here is the 'connection' that your clients are using. You could have a T1 connection but if your client is using a dialup connection, they of course will be limited to that speed.

During BETA of WAS I had applications accessed via the Internet and did not have any complaints. I have a cable connection and those that were connecting to view the samples were also using a cable connection.

The directory structure that was being accessed is a total of 14MB, naturally they are not accessing all of the files at one time. This directory includes the a5w pages, images, text files, and database files, etc. The largest table is 21kb.

I guess I can only suggest that you setup an application as you would intend it to be accessed and give access to people that have various internet connections (dialup, dsl, cable) and get their opinions. You can ask that they give you load times for the various pages, etc.

There are also several sites available online that will do the same thing, ie you input a specific URL and it will return a report telling you the load time etc for your page.

This is the one that I have used many times during web development in the past:

http://www2.imagiware.com/RxHTML/

Hope this helps.
Cheryl