PDA

View Full Version : Alpha4v7 won't load winagent on my Windows98

ABC123

Pamela Stevens
07-31-2002, 07:19 AM
Hi! I've browsed the message board and seen how helpful everyone is, but I haven't seen my problem. I'd really appreciate any suggestions anyone can offer.

I'm using Windows98 and I've upgraded to Alpha4v7 but Winagent doesn't always load when Alpha does. Sometimes I'll end up with two DOS windows running, and if I minimize the window with Alpha and click on the other window, I can see something about spooling flash on the screen and then Winagent loads. It seems very inconsistent about how it works (or doesn't work), but Winagent is usually not loading without my help.

Even after I load Winagent through the Start, Programs, Alpha4, Start Winagent method), when I tell Alpha to print, a printer icon appears in the lower right hand corner of my screen but the printing never happens until I close out of Alpha.

Thanks for any help!

Pam

Randy Stewart
08-01-2002, 09:54 AM
there is a slight chance that you are having a directory location problem...
the original a4.bat file reads:

printdump.exe spool\ptrinfo.a4
start winagent "|path=spool|delete=yes|keep_req=no"
a4v7.exe -2
start winagent "command=quit"

Now on our network computers we had a sometimes problem like yours and I found that if you copy a4.bat to a4 org.bat and then edit a4.bat to read:

c:
CD\
CD Progra~1
CD AlphaF~1
printdump.exe spool\ptrinfo.a4
start winagent "|path=spool|delete=yes|keep_req=no"
a4v7.exe -2 -p#c:\a4v6user;c:\alpha4v6\chkbyphn:\c:\Progra~1\AlphaF~1 %1 %2 %3
start winagent "command=quit"

it seemed to straighten out the problem for us... one note, it does end up dropping the *.UDN files in the Alpha Four v7 directory but it is a small problem if you clean them out ever so often.

Randy

Pamela Stevens
08-02-2002, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Randy! It sounds like a good idea to try, but before I do, please tell me something more about "dropping *.UDN files." How does this effect the running of alpha4 and how do I clean them out?

Pam