PDA

View Full Version : corrupt memo field-HELP

ABC123

Angelica Morris
07-12-2002, 12:39 PM
Hi there. I just installed a4v7 on a laptop and copied only the .dbf and .dbt files to this machine. I had planned on designing an all new application, as this machine will serve a totally different purpose than our existing work stations. The .dbf is fine, however when I attempt to view the memo fields, I find gibberish--cute little symbols I didn't even know Alpha was capable of. As cute as they are, I'd like my data back. Is there something I'm supposed to do to make alpha recognize this .dbt?

Thanks,
Angelica

David Sander
07-16-2002, 08:22 AM
Angelica,

What you have is a corrupted memo file. The fact that you can open the DBF file and look at the memo field contents is good. You might want to try recopying your old memo files again if they are known to be good and you used a floppy disk to transfer them.

Before you copy the files this time, do a full format of the floppy using the /U parameter with format. Check that the floppy has no bad sectors on the post format report. Reject any that do if you are using the Alpha Four backup process. Doing this will get you fully readable floppies and should clean up your data transfer problem.
The optional use of a compression utility like PKZip to get everything on to a single floppy or spanned floppies is often a more reliable way to transfer data. Pkzip will tell you if a floppy sector is unreadable.

You may also benifit from copying the DBF table with the memo file attached to it. Doing this removes the obsolete old memo files and may shrink the size of the DBT file considerably.

Dave

Angelica Morris
07-17-2002, 07:33 AM
Thanks Dave. I recopied the .dbf and .dbt over to the new machine--this time together and now it's all up and running just fine. thanks again for responding!
~Angelica