PDA

View Full Version : Passing Alpha variable to DOS

ABC123

Keith George
02-02-2002, 11:49 PM
I have printed 4 reports to file, then I have (through a batch file) had DOS append the files into a single file.

What I would like to do, I need to rename the single file using information stored in an Alpha variable.

I have saved my variables in the Variable.Var file, and there is an entry within that file referring to the week number: WEEKNO=38, so I would like to use this variable to rename PayRoll.asc to Week38.asc or WeekNo38.asc, bearing in mind that the number will change weekly.

I think have got my head around the variables within Alpha, but am still in the dark when it comes to variables in DOS:)

TIA
Keith

Ken L Herrold
02-04-2002, 04:56 AM
Hi Kieth

Here I am again. Listen, I don't kow the proper HTM codes so I've included a doc file for my ideas on this.

Get back if you think I might help further.

Alpha On!

Ken

Keith George
02-04-2002, 11:07 AM
Hi Ken,

You can't go far without me:)

Thanks for your reply and the attached document.

What you have suggested is exactly what I am looking for, unfortunately I can’t get it to work.

When I step through the script with debug, all variables populate with the correct information and the screen blips when it goes through the “exec” part, but the file name remains unchanged.

Any suggestions:)

TIA
Keith

Ken L Herrold
02-04-2002, 12:23 PM
Kieth:

After you run the debug, look in the variables for %cmnd and post it here with the the actual old file and new file names.

We have a syntax and maybea path problem - or - if you haven't already, you might see what the problem is. Did you have the 'pause' in the batch, and if so, what does the screen print above it?

Oh, by the way the batch should have "REN %1 %2" not RENAME! DUH! forgot the correct syntax and passed it on to you. I just tried it here and REN is the command of choice - RENAME generated a "bad ommand or file name" Like I said D U H !

Get back, I'm excited about the outcome.

Ken

pboom
02-04-2002, 03:19 PM
I haven't got the Manuals handy, (they are back home about 1000 miles away). But I believe Alpha 4 Version 6 and hence version 7 have a built in script command for renaming files.
Look under the files heading of section that list the script commands by purpose.
You could have your script wait till the combined file is created and then use the rename script command.

Hope this helps

Ken L Herrold
02-04-2002, 04:05 PM
Paul Kaboom!

BY jove you've done it! There is life after birth and there is INDEED a script command {FILERENAME} and it will definitely take those variables. You devil! T H A N K S this will be a lot easier than the batch/DOS stuff I was doing.

You know, after about 10 years of this you think you know every thing, then comes along somebody who actually read the manuals and shows you up every time.

Kieth, I understand where Paul's coming from and can still help if you need it.

Thanks again Paul.

Keith George
02-05-2002, 08:39 AM
Hi Guys

Ken,
I have now got it working ok, thanks to your prompting, it was a path problem, I hadn’t given the path of where the batch file was residing, therefore it wasn’t running the batch file.

Paul,
Now you have pointed out the filerename command I can remember seeing it before, while looking for another command.

There are a few commands that I have noticed that must have come with version 7 as there is no reference to them in the manual, any ideas?

Shakeron & Shakeroff, CB_substr & CB_stuff.

Thank you both for your input, I’ll try and make the questions harder next time, otherwise its no fun for you:)

Ken L Herrold
02-06-2002, 04:17 PM
Paul and Keith:

Paul - thanks again for the {Filerename} tip.

Keith: When you're in the script editor ad DO pull up
{FILERENAME} it comes up with the parameters it expects. This does seem a more viable way to do it as it would be entirely 'under the covers' without shelling out to a dosscreen. Haven't tried it but I know that Paul would not put us on to something bad.

You might still want to give it a shot.

Thanks for the fun of participating.

Ken

Will Lynch
10-02-2002, 12:35 PM
may I have a copy of this this doc file. I am doing something similar, it may help