PDA

View Full Version : Mapping - Two Questions

ABC123

Bob Whitaker
03-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Also posted on main V5 board

Has anyone come across any software that will translate zip / post codes into locations on a map. I know here in the UK I can import data into Autoroute and show them but it needs to be manually updated all the time.
Second question, and it may be the same answer, I have a customer table with post codes, I would like a user to be able to enter an enquirers post code and have the nearest customer in my customer table found.
Thanks all.

T Sayers
06-01-2004, 07:29 PM
Hi Bob,

I came across an app that will do the first part of this. It's called Alpha Five! Here's the deal...

In April's UK edition of PC World, someone asked about mapping from Excel data. The solution mentioned would work with v6's new internet functions, enabling folks to pull up maps of whatever grid ref or postcode they want. I looked at the instructions for one of the three companies mentioned (Streetmap - url below) and all you have to do is create and then request a specially formed url. Very easy.

The basic service is free and gives you an ad covered web page with a map of your requested location. There is also an ad free service that just provides the map and so could be incorporated into any A5 generated output, Pulling a map costs a penny a time with a minimum annual bill of GBP500 so you'd need some volume or some friends.

As for the other bit, haven't looked at that for years. Try qas.co.uk as a starter though.

Regards,
Trevor

www.streetmap.co.uk/linkto.htm
www.kingswood.ltd.uk
www.datasets.com/products/data.cfm

Lenny Forziati
06-02-2004, 08:03 AM
Trevor,

Your solution may also work in V5 as well. Using http_get_page() you can send a formatted request to the Streetmap server. Assuming their server will accept a GET request (as opposed to POST which is not available in V5), http_get_page will return a variable that contains the source of their response. You could then save this to a temp file and use sys_open() to have your defualt web browser open it.

You may need to do a bit of fix-up on the returned value to get images to display properly, but this should get you most of the way there.

-Lenny