PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Manchester

ABC123

Stephen Calvert
09-17-2002, 10:36 AM
Hi Everyone

Just found this board, and very happy to see other Alpha 5 users in the UK. I got to thinking I ws the only one. I have used Alpha 5 for around 7 years and I am addicted. I have written databases for Debt Management Co, Quantity Surveyors, Holiday Villa Co, Car Repair Garage.

I have just got an order to do one for a Loan Co, a promotion Co, and am just doing one for a Division of Thames Water.

Just Ordered V5 from States. Cant wait to try it. Be nice to here from anyone near Manchester.

Steve Calvert

Ian Marshall
07-11-2003, 06:29 AM
Hi Stephen

I am Manchester nased also. After a considerable break from Alpha 4, about 7 years, I am back! Only application I created was a labeling system many years ago.

Anyway, my reason for returning to the fold is the need to the feasability of developing an apparel accounting system. We are using a 'off the shelf' package which is ok but limited. Prior to this we had a developer trying to convert a DOS application to windows using Interbase. This was not progressing and also it was only a bit part (SOP,POP, and stock) with another finacial package which meant a lot of updates and lack of real-time information.

The issue I am concerned with, before getting further into Alpha 4.5 (haven't loaded v5 yet) is the specifications. We have 25 concurrent users and with a high volume/low margin business deal with upwards of 200 sales orders a day over 13,000 stock items.

Can I ask if you know the meaning of sessions and the maximum tables as I expect we need about 250/280 tables to cover the present operation.

I have read that you can have sets which consist of up to 24 virtual tables but I concerned with the speeds.

Some issues which will need to be overcome are entering SOP,POP in a style-colour-fit matrix. This makes processing quick and accurate (both present and last system could do this).

kind regards
Ian Marshall

Stephen Calvert
07-11-2003, 07:41 AM
HI Ian

I think it may be more beneficial if we have a chat, please give me a call on Mob 07971-212125 or my home number is 0161-437-3631. I think most things are possible with Alpha 5.

Regards

Steve

Ian Marshall
07-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Hi Stephen

I have just logged on - 1am Sunday, and will contact you next week. Am going to load Alpha5 trial version to have alook at in the meantime.

Regards

Ian

Stephen Calvert
07-12-2003, 05:06 PM
If you need any help give me a call

Steve

Ian Marshall
07-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Hi Steve

Sorry I haven't ben in touch, but quite hectic at work. I will contact you directly next week. I have loaded the trial version of v5 anfd am inpressed. ALthough have some reservations which need addressed.

kind regards

Ian

Stephen Calvert
07-17-2003, 02:29 PM
HI Ian

I am off on my Hols next thursday for 2 weeks, if you need any help before then give me a call

Steve

Stephen Calvert
08-13-2003, 04:41 PM
HI Ian

I am back from my holidays, please give me a call on 0161-437-3631.

Cheers

Steve

Richard Rabins
09-20-2003, 07:24 AM
Stephen if you a consultant/developer for Alpha Five
please contact me at richard@ALPHASOFTWARE.COM

We have a group of consultants known as the Alpha Five Guild who we send leads to of people downloading the alpha five trial and who need consulting/development help and consulting.

Stephen Calvert
09-21-2003, 03:01 AM
Hi Richard

I have been using Alpha 5 since about 1996. Have written many, many programmes using it and I use it every day. I am now on version 5, and love it. I have witten programmes for many companies, and would class myself as a developer/consultant.

I would be glad to help.

Regards

Steve Calvert

Ian Marshall
09-21-2003, 11:44 PM
Hi Steve

Sorry that I haven't been in touch. Its been rather hectic here with 'Back to School' trading period, but that has now finished.

Anyway, we have decided to not go any further at this stage with the idea, as we do need to able to link to MySQL or other SQL back end and the application needs too be able to port to web applcation for a proposed CRM system.

But, all is not lost, as I intend to loook again when v6 is relased, as this is more suitable to our needs with the ability to connect to MySQL and develop a client/server application.

Hopefully this will be only months away, and no doubt your help will be required.

regards

Ian Marshall

Stephen Calvert
09-22-2003, 10:42 AM
Hi Ian

No problem. Just give me a shout if you need any help.

Best regards

Steve