PDA

View Full Version : switch to network from single user

ABC123

Jim Parrie
09-24-2000, 11:30 PM
I have an instalation of Alpha 4 V6 that I have been using for years in single user mode on one machine. I recently networked a couple of machines together using Win98 peer to peer networking, and would like to be able to access my A4 files from one of those machines. I have a second single user version of A4, and from what I understand, that should be all I need.

My question is do I need to create a user directory for the instalation I already have, or just the new install, or both?

Has anyone done this that can walk me through the procedure?

Thanks,

Jim

davej
09-26-2000, 08:02 PM
Jim,

I just did the same thing - except the network was Windows NT. I had my client purchase a five user network pack. The single user/network question only comes up when you do the initial installation - the software itself is network ready right out of the box.

There are a number of ways you can build the A4 network configuration. What I opted to do was to install the .dbf files on the NT server (my client's drive S:) and the Alpha 4V6 program files on the user stations. The ONLY (minimum) glitch I ran into was having to redo the screen colors on each users system. Also, I found out the hard way that if the user makes a safety copy (not a backup in the true sense of the word, but a copy to send to you for safekeeping), you need to be aware the with the files on the network drive (drive S: file and record locking come into play. I had to request help regarding getting access to what my client sent. Turns out that all I had to do was right-mouse click and change the fileattributes.

All is fine and my client thinks I'm the greatest, most knowledgeable computer person in the work, and I ain't telling 'em otherwise!! That way I can almost charge what I want ;-)

Dave Jampole

russ Boehle
09-27-2000, 04:18 PM
To get arount eh UDN problem copy all the udn files and the *.pal file from one workstation where the colors are correct and install them on each client. From time to time I add dbf's or sets to our app. I use sneakernet to install the udn's with a batch file. They just need to be copied to each C:alpha4v6 or A4v6rt directory.