PDA

View Full Version : Alpha4v4 crashes on EXIT in Windows95c

ABC123

Francois Blawat
08-24-2000, 10:21 AM
Has anyone heard or know of a solution to this problem? We currently have a license for 6 users under alpha4v4. Recently two of our Windows95c PC's starting giving exception errors whenever a user attempted to either:
1) Log out of Alpha4 with the Exit command.
2) Using Alt-Tab to switch windows.

The Network department is claiming they made no changes to the PC's, Network and no software was recently installed on these PC's. I have windows95c on my system and I use Alpha4 with no errors or problems. I've copied my files to the other PC's and they still crash.

The DOS-prompt works fine on both PC's so I'm confused as to what is happening. We are using a WindowsNT network system. All our PC's currently have 64 Megs Ram, Matrox Mystique PCI 2 meg cards, HP Cd-writers, IBM sound-card. We do not use the USB ports or the Parallel ports. We print through the network. We all use the Intel 82557 Ethernet PCI (10/100) cards.

Any ideas would be helpful since I am fully stumped.

Thanks.
Francois

csda1
08-27-2000, 01:44 PM
Francois,

Try deleting (or renaming) the *.UDN file and/or A4.DFL file in the user's private directories on the systems that are crashing. They will be recreated automatically by A4 with the standard defaults.

It's a good possibility the problem might go away.

Also, make sure the maximum XMS and DPMI memory used by A4 is 8192 (in k) in the shortcut properties. Turn off EMS (set to none) if you can.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
Computer Systems Design & Associates
csda@mediaone.net

Francois Blawat
08-28-2000, 06:02 AM
Thanks IRA I will give it a try.

I found out that Full Screen mode on these two PC's are causing the problems. If we use Window mode instead of FULL screen the PC's don't crash. If we change the properties to Full Screen and they try to exit or Alt-Tab, Windows crashes. This also applies to the DOS-Prompt as well. I'm not sure what to try next. I will try renaming the files you suggested but we keep our database files on the network drive and each user has his/her own autoexec file that keeps the database list and color preferences.

Thanks.

Francois Blawat
08-31-2000, 07:27 AM
Thanks IRA for your suggestions regarding deleting those files. The two PC's are still crashing. Any other ideas? I am confused by this whole thing since nothing was apparantly changed on the PC's or network.

Any further information would be great

Thanks again.

csda1
08-31-2000, 07:49 AM
One other thing to try is moving the graphic performance of the windows machine down a notch or two (in Control Panel, System, Performance I believe)

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
Computer Systems Design & Associates
csda@mediaone.net

Francois Blawat
08-31-2000, 11:26 AM
Thanks again IRA. No luck. The PC seemed to work but then crashed and we had to reboot the system. We moved the performance notch down to the second to last on the left hand side of the ruler. Not sure what to try next.

Thanks!