PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility for internet app's with upgrade?

ABC123

Pamela Higazy
08-08-2000, 07:32 PM
Hello, everyone!

I just discovered this forum today, and I have a couple questions. I did scan through previous postings, and did not see anything applicable to my situation, so forgive me if this has been covered recently.

I have been using Alpha Four V.3 for several years and I am quite comfortable with it (except report printing, which is another story! ;-)).

As a webmistress for several on-line stores, I am responsible for posting DBF (inventory) info to the internet, and have been doing this by means of mail-merging to a Corel WordPerfect document which I then translate to html. I am hoping that maybe one of the newer Alpha Four or Five versions supports direct internet publication (html) or offers something better than this time-consuming method. Does anyone know about this?

If direct publication to the internet is *not* possible with Alpha database software, I will have to consider switching to different software, and I am concerned about compatibility / transferring of my Alpha DBF & SET files to a different program...

Question 1: Assuming any (upgrade) version of Alpha software has the internet applications I need, can I transfer files from Alpha 4 V.3 to it (easily)?

Question 2: If no Alpha software is internet-compatible, what is the best database software to use that will accept my files from Alpha 4 V.3?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! :-)

Pam

rick blanka
09-25-2000, 10:50 AM
Pam, the Webmistress,

This is simply done. Produce a HTML report using tables. Print to file with the HML extention ( payroll.hml). Now you can open it in either Excel (with text attributes and no conversion) or with your browser.

rick

P.S. Give me a list of application you have. I am looking for apps which I would purchase rather than build from ground up.

rick blanka
09-25-2000, 10:58 AM
Pam,

What you would want to do is create a connection to a MySql database on a web data base server and then output the Alpha4 data to that server via a FoxPro ODBC connection. You will need an IPS which supports MySql.

Alpha4 output is good for posting. MySql is for dynamic interaction between client and the server.

rick