PDA

View Full Version : alpha4 not a watcom program

ABC123

Larry Hadfield
07-18-2000, 04:14 PM
I have reinstalled alpha4 v6 on a new computer with Windows 98. I am unable to load the program because of an error message "alpha.exe is not a watcom program". Anybody out there know how to get by this error message?

Thank's for any help!!

Carol A Graham
07-19-2000, 07:31 AM
Larry

How much free disk space do you have?

Carol

Larry Hadfield
07-20-2000, 09:39 AM
Carol
Space should not be a problem. There is 2 GIG or more available. I'm getting this same message on three different computers. I even tryed installing it on an older computer with DOS 6.2 but had the same problem. After installing the program and then trying to load it, I keep getting the same message that Alpha4.exe is not a Watcom Program. The program does not load. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Larry

Carol A Graham
07-20-2000, 09:55 AM
Hi Larry

It sounds like the disks may be bad. If you can
give me the Serial Number off the disk, I'll mail
you another set.

Carol

Francois Blawat
07-20-2000, 09:59 AM
Hello,

The error message you are receiving is exactly what I received when one of my disks were bad. Alpha customer support/sales was very very helpful and mailed me another copy of disk1. After using the new disk1 (and I make several backups for safety reasons) Alpha.exe was able to load correctly without the WATCOM errors.

Hope this helps, but I would start with getting a newer copy of Disk1.

-Francois

Larry Hadfield
07-20-2000, 10:56 AM
Hi Carol
The disks may be bad but I have two original installation disks plus a backup copy that I tried to install with and got the same results. The full error message is "DOS/4GW Professional fatal error : C:ALPHA4V6ALPHA.EXE is not a WATCOM program". Serial Number is A6OUGPD1-2001204.

Larry

russ Boehle
07-26-2000, 03:22 PM
I have found the easiest way to prevent these kind of errors is to put a directory on our server holding both the runtime (which we use) and the full program. If I have to set up a new computer I just install windows, get on the network and copy the complete directory. Takes about 20 seconds for a full install (try that with a windows program). The copy of the full program is useful if I have to do something for some reason on a client machine. I can copy the full program, do what I have to and erase it. Its all in one directory so this is easy.
Speaking of this, it would be great if A5 was written so everything was in one directory, including the necessary windows dll's etc. so this type of thing could be done.

Russ

Albert J. DeBosco
07-31-2000, 07:58 PM
Consider getting rid of the Watcom DOS extender (DOS/4GW) and replacing it with PMODE/W. See:

http://www.mindspring.com/~dallison/alpha4.html

Hope this helps.

Larry Hadfield
08-01-2000, 05:14 AM
To all who replied:
Alpha Software was kind enough to send me new disks which solved my problem. Though I had backup disks, which were apparently also bad, I was in a state of denial that this could be my problem. It was, and some fine service from Carol at Alpha Software did the trick.

Larry