PDA

View Full Version : Linux & Alpha Four

ABC123

Dan ONeill
06-26-2000, 12:22 PM
What's the latest on Alpha database products and Linux? The writing is on the wall! It's only a matter of time now. Does A4 or A5 run on Linux? What are the future plans? Wouldn't it be great if Alpha came out with a hybrid Alpha 4/5 product that combined the strengths of both products and would run under Linux?

Mike Konoff
06-28-2000, 07:33 AM
Dan,

I can tell you this much...there are "no" plans whatsoever for any further developement on Alpha Four. Alphasoftware has stated this emphatically.

If you want Alpha Database compatibility with Linux, I suggest you email the company president, Selwyn Rabins, at selwyn@alphasoftware.com. I've never heard anywhere that they're interested in coming out with an Alpha Five Linux version, but that would be the best bet because that is the product, A5, that they are concentrating on. I don't know anything about Linux, but since it's getting so popular, it might be a good thought for them.

Mike

O.J. Newman
06-29-2000, 09:27 AM
Hi Dan!

A couple of months ago, Selwyn wrote on this board:

>>
it is something that we are interested in doing at some point in time, but currently all resources are devoted to a5 v5.