PDA

View Full Version : Charity

ABC123

edward wright
06-16-2000, 04:52 PM
Our local charity has asked us to set up a data base on their clients. We have Alpha four version 6. They have 4 computers not networked which have Windows 98. Can we design the data base on our present software and then purchase a windows based software which is compatible? Can we easily network th 4 computers? Please advise.
Ed Wright 512-267-3083

Ken L Herrold
06-16-2000, 07:30 PM
Ed:

Yes you can design a program in Alpha and easily network it in Win98 without buying any network software. i have a number of applications - multi-user networked in the resident [free] network capability of Windows 98, 95, and 98SE all performing quite well. You will, of course have to purchase and configure network cards for all of the machines; buy a hub,and use preferable RJ45 twisted pair network cableing. Hubs suitable would run about $30-40 and network cards about $20-30 each.

No need for the learning curve for a new windows-based application. The data in Alpha is "DBF" and can be read and,in many applications used 'as is' without sophisticated data conversion or other manipulation. Sets, however, would not work in other applications and would have to be created in these. The easiest, quickest way would be like you're first thought. Build it in Alpha 4 Version 6.2 and get it up an running in Win98 on a network.

I'm willing to guide you thru the whole process for the networking at my e-mail address. Been there ---- done that.

Let me know what you think.

Ken

edward wright
06-17-2000, 08:41 PM
Ken,
I appreciate the offer of help. First I have to check out the existing computers to see what they actualy have installed. They may have some networking hardware already there. I'll bet back to you in a couple of days. Thanks,
Ed.