PDA

View Full Version : Move A5V4 data to A5

ABC123

DONNA NICKEL
01-06-2005, 11:53 AM
I can take A5V4 data to A5. ( I use DOS the copy off the data).

I open a new data base of the same old name on A5. It will take the data from the zip drive and operate like a normal database and save changes back onto the zip drive. However, I cannot then save it on C.

Isn't there some way to back up the data from A4V5 so that it will restore on A5?

Al Buchholz
01-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Donna

Make a new directory on the C: drive.

Use windows to copy from the zip drive to the new directory.

Remember - terminology is A5 is a little different than A4.
An A4 database is an A5 table. An A5 database is a collection of A5 tables and sets. (and all the rest of the stuff).

Use A5 to create a new database.

Then use the A5 add tables to add the A4 database (which are now A5 tables) to A5.

You should be alright from there.

It's also recommended that you use the detail view of the control panel, so you can get the full name of the directory that the files are stored in.

See attached image about adding tables.

graham hamilton
01-07-2005, 05:43 AM
Thank you for your reply. I actually had been doing just what you suggest which brings the table into my database from the zip drive. I can use it as before.

However, it doesn't stay with A5. I need to get it to the C drive where A5 wants to find it. When I close the data base the tables are not on C just on the zip. What is the last step that I am missing?

Thanks,

Donna

Al Buchholz
01-07-2005, 05:58 AM
Donna?

You didn't use windows to copy the tables(files) to the directory on c:

Then add those files to the A5 database.

graham hamilton
01-07-2005, 06:15 AM
Thanks again. I will try do do what you suggest.

Right. This time it wasn't Donna it is Graham. I'm trying to help but the other computers we have had with Alpha over the years were happy with DOS and I just used that to bring info to the new computers.

We now have our first XP and I'm in training!!!