PDA

View Full Version : Error message re ddx file

ABC123

Don Swanson
01-03-2005, 02:45 PM
I am trying to setup a layout for an A4 table (reprints.dbf) in the Home edition of A5v5. I get the following message no matter what type of layout I try:

Error: The system cannot find the file specified:
...c:\reprint file\reprints.ddx occurred while trying to start application

What might be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Al Buchholz
01-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Don

Remember - terminology is A5 is a little different than A4.
An A4 database is an A5 table. An A5 database is a collection of A5 tables and sets. (and all the rest of the stuff).

I hope that you have copied the folder/directory from Alpha 4 into a new directory for Alpha 5.

From there, you can create a new A5 database and add the A4 tables into it.

The .ddx file is one of three files that A5 will create for each table(.dbf). (along with .ddm,.ddd)

Those files are created automatically and rarely does the message that you have seen some up. Some times the directory(and/or user) doesn't have the proper permissions to create a file, or the file gets deleted because it's not expected by the user.

Let us know if you have used the steps I mentioned or if you did something else.

Don Swanson
01-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Al:

Thanks very much for the reply.

Unfortunately I have only a floppy with the A4 dbf file on it (as well as DDD, DDM, UDN, NDX, MDX, and Cdx files). I've been in management for 8 years and only recently got back into research for which I need the dbf file. I failed to load A4 on my newer computers, so I don't have the proper A4 folder.

Am I just stuck, or is there any way to make a layout with what I have?

Don

Al Buchholz
01-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Don

You can move the data from A4, but you must recreate the form for that data in A5.

Only the data transfers between the versions.

There is so much difference between the DOS and windows environment that it's possible to have a conversion tool for the forms.

You'll find that they build really fast and with many more options.