PDA

View Full Version : A5 Database Format

ABC123

Kurt Virnig
05-18-2004, 02:23 PM
I asked this question of Alpha Software and am still awaiting a reply. Currently have A4 and the database gets udpated directly from an Address Correction software called ZP4. It updates the .dbf. Can someone tell me if A5 databases are in .dbf format so I can still use the address correction software? Thanks

Lenny Forziati
05-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Yes, Alpha five uses DBF tables. It does not however use the same index and memo formats that Alpha Four does.

-Lenny

rtbtat
05-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Kurt:

Let me make one additional point. Alpha Five uses the dbf format, however, you do not want to use the same dbf file source for both A4 and A5, keep them totally separate.

In other words, create a brand new folder for your A5 application and then copy the dbf files from your A4 database[s] to this new folder. Create an A5 database in the new folder, then add the dbf tables you copied from your A4 application to the database.

After you've designed your A5 application, then you can periodically copy the updated A4 dbf data files to your new A5 database.

Note:

You must understand the concept of an Alpha Five database, which is very different from an A4 database. This is critical to the success of your migration.

Robert T