PDA

View Full Version : A4 networking

ABC123

Ken McEntee
04-06-2004, 08:30 AM
In a network (just two PCs running XP connected via ethernet), will the two PCs be able to exchange/share A4 (dos, v1) files?
I am still using the most archaic version of A4 which I love and hope to avoid transferring all of my databases to A5 (which I don't like as much) because the memo fields don't seem to transfer.

Thank you.

davej
04-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Ken,

Question 1: You might need a 3-user network pack.

I can't let your comment re: the memo fields slip by - the they DO transer with no problem, assuming there are no problems with the memo fields in A4 - go into the A5V5 messageboard and do a search which will lead you to all the information you need.

Dave

Ken McEntee
04-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Thank you for your response. I'll have to go back and try again. My recollection was that there was a problem. By the way, do the A4 memos transfer into other dbases like Access or the MS Works database?

Ken McEntee

davej
04-06-2004, 09:54 AM
Ken,

I have not tried either Access or MS Works, but I would guess that Works is no. Access is best answered by someone who has tried it.

Dave

Ken McEntee
04-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Thanks again

rtbtat
04-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Ken:

Alpha Five uses a Foxpro format [.Fpt] for memo files. I don't know the definitive answer, but in my personal experience, the answer is no. I could not find a way to export A5 memo files into Access.

I therefore used the brute force method by copying each A5 memo file and pasting it into my Access database. The technique was a success, but that could be lots of work if you have a huge database.

I'm sure there is some genius out there who can figure out how to seamlessly export A5 memo fields into Access.

I would like to make one other point. It's been my experience that many users choose a memo field when it really isn't appropriate. Let me give you a typical example from an Invoicing application.

I am currently reading through an A5 database created by someone else and virtually all of the data in the memo field has short, brief comments such as

· Deliver products only to the receiving office.
· Deliver products between 7am and 11 am
· Parking for deliveries is in the rear of the building
· Only deliver products to Mr. Watkins or Ms. Johnson

Hopefully you get the idea, a memo field is overkill and creates unnecessary problems. The better option in this application would be creating a simple character field [text in Access] called ”Notes” or something similar, where you can enter short notes that are right on point. That is far more efficient and eliminates the need to maintain memo fields, which can cause problems.

On the other hand, if you are a physician and you are taking extensive notes for your patients that would be an appropriate use of memo fields.

Robert T

Ken McEntee
04-07-2004, 07:27 AM
Thank you for the reply.
(Unfortunately my memos are rather lengthy)
Ken