PDA

View Full Version : Alpha5 with Win98

ABC123

Fancy Plants
02-12-2004, 06:06 AM
Does A5 work properly with Win98? I am having continual problems - records in browse table will not sort according to index (table is indexed properly, browse order expression is same as the index) - yet records are out of order in the browse, even after applying the index again.

The only way I can get the browse to sort correctly,is to delete my other indexes (which I need in other reports). Also, some records that are in the table will not print on my report (records are not filtered out, marked, etc.) and are entered correctly. This is giving me incorrect information on my reports. These problems occur in other tables as well.

This is immensely frustrating and I'm ready to throw A5 in the trash and go back to A4!!! At least in A4, I could count on my reports being correct. And A4 provided me with a comprehensive, detailed manual that allowed me to easily find answers to any problems I was having.

Thanks -Donna

rtbtat
02-12-2004, 07:17 AM
Hello Donna:

Although Win 98 is not a good choice for any windows application, I don't think there's any correlation between the problems you described and your operating system. Many Alpha users have Win 98 installed and they don't have those kinds of problems.

That leads us to a different conclusion. For starters, have you downloaded the latest patch from Alpha's website?

Have you compacted the database?

Let's answer those questions first and then see if there is something else that isn't kosher.

Robert T

rtbtat
02-12-2004, 07:24 AM
Hello Donna:

After you've checked my previous suggestions, can you tell us are you talking about stand alone browses or a browse that is a child table in a set?

Robert T

Fancy Plants
02-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi Robert -
I was not able to download the latest patch (1058?) from the website, however, someone from Alpha was kind enough to burn a CD for me with the patch, which I installed.

We back up the database at least twice a day (we screw up so much, we need & use those backups often)and use the compact database feature each time.

The browse tables are stand alone on individual tables, not sets. I checked that my indexes are correct. Learned the hard way (again) that A5 does not format the indexes str(n), etc like A4 did for us as we built our indexes.

Any further help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

-Donna

rtbtat
02-13-2004, 01:08 AM
Donna:

It sounds as if Al might be onto something with both A4 and A5 pointing to the same folder.

Here are more questions, do you have any filters in your indexes? Do you have index names longer than 10 letters? Can you zip up your database [or a small sample] to this forum so we can look at it?

Robert T.