PDA

View Full Version : Global Update for Invoice Numbers

ABC123

Fancy Plants
02-03-2004, 02:42 AM
Does anyone know which operation(?) to use to globally update invoice numbers? We have reoccuring invoices and used a global update using system grand + an invoice number. Each record was then updated sequentially with a new invoice number. Cannot figure out how to do this in A5. Any suggestions? -Donna

Al Buchholz
02-03-2004, 04:05 AM
Have you looked at the update operation in Alpha 5?

From the control panel, click the operations tab and the new button.

Scroll down the left column and the last type of operation is update. It's the same as the Alpha 4 global update.

Fancy Plants
02-04-2004, 04:48 AM
Al-
Did go to Update to change the invoice numbers. I don't know which expression to use in A5 to automatically increment the invoice numbers. In A4, I was able to use system/grand + first invoice #.
Thanks -Donna

Al Buchholz
02-04-2004, 05:15 AM
Donna

To emulate the A4 routine, you'd use the total() function.

Without understanding your id structure, I wonder why you don't use the field rule auto increment?

Is this for assigning a value to a field that is used for linking tables together or just a field used to find by?

Fancy Plants
02-05-2004, 04:58 AM
Al -
I finally figured out that the "update genie" has Assign Serial Values that did the trick. I thought the auto increment was for new records - we reuse the same records each month and update the date & invoice numbers.
Thanks -Donna

Al Buchholz
02-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Donna

If you're happy, I'm happy....

Have a good day!