PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP, A4 TO A5

ABC123

JIM VAN AUKEN
09-20-2003, 04:55 AM
I NEED TO MAKE CONTACT WITH SOMEONE IN THE CENTRAL NEW YORK AREA (SYRACUSE, NY). I HAVE BEEN USING A4V6 FOR YEARS TO RUN MY INSURANCE AGENCY. I HAVE TO CONVERT TO A5, BUT I JUST CANT SEEM TO GRASP IT

MY HOPE IS THAT I CAN NETWORK WITH SOMEONE IN MY AREA WHO HELP ME OVER THE HUMP WITH BASICS TO GET UP & RUNNING

debi overall
09-22-2003, 06:58 PM
It's my understanding (and this is not science by any means) that
conversion to A5 requires a later version of A4 (7 or 8) in order
to convert the existing databases and sets with relationships in tact.

The forms and report layouts still have to be reworked.

You can verify this with tech support.

JIM VAN AUKEN
09-23-2003, 05:05 AM
Debi, Thank you for your reply.

Are you located in the proximity of Central New York.
Ineed to be able to collaborate with an experienced user in my area to design a new program to replace the program i developed with Alpha 4

I do have a copy of A4V8.

Jim Van Auken

rtbtat
09-23-2003, 05:39 AM
Hello Jim:

I have not seen Alpha Four ver 8, but it's my understanding that you CANNOT convert an Alpha Four application to A5. It just isn't going to happen, remember, the world of DOS is very different from Windows.

However, you can copy all of your data [dbf files] into Alpha Five, they will be read directly by A5. You will have to create a brand new application in Alpha Five, that means totally new data entry forms, scripts, and reports.

Believe me, the transition is worth it because Alpha Five is a far superior product. There have been many discussions on this board reference the numerous rewards of switching from A4 to A5.

Robert T.

rtbtat
09-23-2003, 05:42 AM
Hello Jim:

One other thought, I don't know how proficient you are with computers, but many people can help you without setting foot in the Syracuse, NY area. Even though you have the NCAA championship basketball team in your beautiful city, I don't think there are many Alpha Developers in your immediate area.

In today's world, unless it's a very complicated or unique situation, all of the work can be done via the Internet. It's just something to consider.

Robert T.